Boston Red Sox Sign All-Star Shortstop Fitzgerald
GARY, Ind. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats announced the Boston Red Sox purchased the contract of shortstop Ryan Fitzgerald on Wednesday. Fitzgerald is likely to report to the Greenville Drive, the Class-A affiliate of the Red Sox. Fitzgerald is the 33rd RailCat to have his contract purchased by a Major League organization and the first in 2018.
Fitzgerald was named an American Association All-Star last season after leading the RailCats with six triples (third in the American Association) and was second on the team with 25 extra-base hits and seven home runs. A native of Burr Ridge, Ill., Fitzgerald hit .239 with 12 doubles, 20 RBIs and eight stolen bases over 84 games in his first season of professional baseball. Fitzgerald recorded his first professional hit off former MLB pitcher Mark Hamburger of the St. Paul Saints on May 18, 2017, and hit a three-run, walk-off home run vs. the Sioux City Explorers for his first pro homer on June 10.
Fitzgerald was named the Arizona Winter League Defensive Player of the Year in 2017 with the Edmonton Capitals and hit .279 with four doubles, one triple and one home run in 14 games. Fitzgerald originally signed with Gary on Nov. 7, 2016, following his senior year at Creighton University. Fitzgerald was a three-year starter at Creighton and is an alum of Fenwick High School in Oak Park, Ill.
The Gary SouthShore RailCats open the 2018 season at U.S. Steel Yard on Friday, May 18th vs. the St. Paul Saints. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 3, 2018
- Back Where It All Started, Saints Team up with Killebrew Root Beer for Townball Game in Miesville - St. Paul Saints
- Boston Red Sox Sign All-Star Shortstop Fitzgerald - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Wingnuts Announce Final Year of Lawrence-Dumont Stadium - Wichita Wingnuts
- Six Familiar Faces Returning to Saltdogs Pitching Staff - Lincoln Saltdogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- Paz, Perez & Pugh Power Gary to 6-4 Rubber-Game Win over Winnipeg
- 'Cats Even Series Behind 3-Run Second and McKenzie's 6 Strong Innings
- Steele's Gem Not Enough in 2-1 to Loss to Goldeyes
- RailCats Sign Pair of Pitchers in Coursel and Samuel
- First Place 'Cats Return Home for All-American Family Fun