Boise Steals First Game of Series with Spokane
The Boise Hawks (26-26, 5-9) defeated the Spokane Indians (23-29, 7-7) by a final score of 5-4 on Thursday night. Despite Boise committing five errors and being out-hit by Spokane, the Hawks picked up the first-game of the five-game series.
Spokane got it started in the top of the first inning. Boise committed the first of five errors for the game after JP Martinez singled and a pickoff throw got down the right-field line. Martinez went to third-base on the error by Boise starter Jeffri Ocando and it was an RBI single for Hasuan Viera making it 1-0 Spokane. The Indians added another run in the first and one more in the 2nd.
The Hawks committed three errors through the first two innings and the Indians got three runs, two earned, off Ocando. The righty went five innings for the night.
Boise scored two runs in the bottom of the 2nd inning. An RBI-single for Hidekel Gonzalez followed by a sacrifice fly for Kennard McDowell made the score just 3-2 Spokane.
The Hawks then took the lead in the 6th inning on a two-run home run from LJ Hatch and they led it 4-3. It was Hatch's first professional home run and he ends up with a 2-4, two RBI, two runs scored night.
In the 7th inning, the Indians got another run. They tied it up after Diosbel Arias hit a triple scoring Curtis Terry tying the game at four.
The Hawks responded in the 8th inning. With runners on the corners, Danny Edgeworth hit a soft groundball to the second-baseman Arias and it scored Terrin Vavra from third-base giving the Hawks a 5-4 advantage.
In the 9th inning it was PJ Poulin who got his 7th save of the year. He got the first two outs, but after a double to Hasuan Viera, Spokane was looking to tie the game. Poulin got a groundout to first-base and the Hawks hung on for the 5-4 victory.
Danny Edgeworth finishes his night going 2-4 with two runs scored, a double, and an RBI. Jairo Diaz on a rehab assignment from the Rockies, threw a scoreless 6th inning for the Hawks.
The Hawks will return tomorrow for Game #2 of the five-game series with the Spokane Indians. First pitch is scheduled for 7:15 p.m. MT. Tomorrow night will feature a postgame Fireworks Show. Get your tickets at BoiseHawks.com or call 208-322-5000.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 10, 2018
- Join Us at Gesa Stadium for Star Wars Night - Tri-City Dust Devils
- AquaSox Playoff Tickets on Sale Now - Everett AquaSox
- Canadians 'throw away' chance to extend lead in North Division - Vancouver Canadians
- Sox Knock Three Jacks in Loss, 10-6 - Everett AquaSox
- Hops Blank Devils 3-0 - Hillsboro Hops
- Boise Steals First Game of Series with Spokane - Boise Hawks
- Tri-City Shut out in Series Opener - Tri-City Dust Devils
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Boise Hawks Stories
- Northwest League Names Bob Flannery 2018 Executive of the Year
- Boise State Club Baseball at Memorial Stadium Announced
- Hawks End Season on a High Note with 11-2 Victory
- Emeralds Clinch Playoff Spot with 4-2 Win over Boise
- Jacobs Delivers Huge Hit Again to Get Boise a 6-4 Victory