Bobby Edwards Boosts Indy Eleven Goalkeeping Corps
INDIANAPOLIS - Indy Eleven wrapped up a week of new player announcements with today's addition of goalkeeper Bobby Edwards to Indiana's Team. Per club policy, terms of the contract that bring the 25-year-old netminder to the Hoosier State will not be released.
"I am thrilled to be joining Indy Eleven and look forward to representing the club, community and State of Indiana. We have tremendous aspirations for this upcoming season, and I am humbled to be a part of them," said Edwards. "It brings me much pride to represent a club with such strong values that align so closely with my own - a shared commitment to success, respect, and teamwork. I cannot wait to get started and eagerly await seeing all our fans at Carroll Stadium in 2021."
Fans can hear more from Edwards - in addition to fellow new signing Gordon Wild and Eleven Head Coach Martin Rennie - when they join host Greg Rakestraw on tomorrow morning's edition of Soccer Saturday, airing live from 9:00-10:00 a.m. on 93.5/107.5 FM The Fan and 1075thefan.com. The episode will also be available this weekend on most popular podcast platforms, including Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts and Spotify.
"Bobby Edwards is a goalkeeper with a promising future, and we are happy to have him provide quality depth and competition at a crucial position," stated Rennie. "At 6'6" and 225 pounds, Bobby's physical presence allows him to command control of his penalty area, and for his size he is a remarkably good shot stopper. We look forward to his contributions on the field and in our squad this season."
Indy Eleven's roster currently stands at 18 players after this week's spate of four signings, and more new Boys in Blue will be set to join the club in the coming weeks. The following players will report for 2021 preseason camp at the team's training home of Grand Park in Westfield in early March:
Goalkeepers: Bobby Edwards, Jordan Farr*
Defenders: Rece Buckmaster, Neveal Hackshaw*, Nedeljko MaliÄ, Karl Ouimette*, Jared Timmer
Midfielders: Ayoze (Garcia)*, Mitch Guitar*, Carl Haworth*, Gershon Koffie, Nicky Law, Aboubacar Sissoko
Forwards: Manuel Arteaga, Cal Jennings, Nick Moon*, Josh Penn*, Gordon Wild
* returning players from 2020 roster
The 2021 campaign will mark the third season of Edwards' burgeoning professional career, which began in 2019 with Portadown FC in Northern Ireland's NIFL Championship. Edwards was pivotal to The Ports' title run, registering a 16W-3L-4D record and finishing with a sparkling 0.78 goals against average and 12 shutouts.
After serving as Portadown's starting goalkeeper in the first 23 games of their 2019/20 promotion-winning campaign, the native of Parsippany, N.J., returned stateside in January 2020 to join Major League Soccer's FC Cincinnati. Edwards made two appearances for the Ohio side last October, winning his debut start against eventual MLS Cup champion Columbus Crew SC at Nippert Stadium.
Prior to going pro, Edwards played four collegiate seasons for three different programs, beginning at St. Joseph's University (2014-16) and continuing on to Monmouth University (2017) before finishing with a graduate senior season stint at Mount St. Mary's University (2018). In all, Edwards totaled 62 appearances (60 starts), registering 262 saves and earning 11 shutouts during his collegiate career.
Want to watch Edwards and the rest of the Boys in Blue when they return to IUPUI's Carroll Stadium in 2021? A limited number of Season Ticket Memberships are now available and can be secured starting at just $170 by visiting indyeleven.com/tickets or calling 317-685-1100.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 12, 2021
- Support Local During Black History Month - Classy Hippie Tea Co - Sacramento Republic FC
- Forward Josh Penn Acquired via Transfer by Major League Soccer's Inter Miami CF - Indy Eleven
- Around the Leagues: CONCACAF Champs League Draw Announced and Gigantic Games All over the Globe - Sacramento Republic FC
- Fabien Garcia Returns to Austin Bold FC for Third Season - Austin Bold FC
- Bobby Edwards Boosts Indy Eleven Goalkeeping Corps - Indy Eleven
- Charlotte Independence Announces Extended Partnership with Hyatt Place - Charlotte Independence
- SD Loyal Welcomes Forward Niki Jackson - San Diego Loyal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indy Eleven Stories
- New Assistant Coach Max Rogers Rounds out Indy Eleven Technical Staff for 2021 Season
- Somerset CPAs and Advisors Returns to Corporate Partnership Ranks for 2021 Season
- Nick Moon Sparks Second Half Surge for Boys in Blue with Goal & Assist in Victory
- Indy Eleven Acquires Midfielder Patrick Seagrist on Loan from MLS' Inter Miami CF
- Hamilton Renews Acquaintances with MLS Side by Bagging Brace for Indiana's Team in Exhibition