BlueClaws Fall to 0-3 with 9-1 Saturday Loss
LAKEWOOD, NJ - Sam Huff homered to lead Hickory to a 9-1 win over the BlueClaws on Saturday.
The Crawdads have taken the first three games of the series, dropping the BlueClaws to 0-3 for the first time since 2016 and the second time since 2007.
Hickory opened the scoring with two runs in the third. Julio Pablo Martinez's RBI triple made it 1-0 and Jose Almonte singled in Martinez.
Trailing 2-0 in the 4th, Lakewood catcher Abrahan Gutierrez doubled home Jake Holmes to slice Hickory's lead in half. Gutierrez had two hits for the BlueClaws.
The Crawdads, however, added three more in the 5th including two on a double from Curtis Terry.
Sam Huff homered in the sixth off Dominic Pipkin. Two errors allowed two additional runs to score.
Lakewood's Jhordany Mezquita (0-1) gave up four runs in four innings and took the loss.
Hickory starter Jean Casanova gave up one run over four innings and Grant Wolfram (1-0) threw three scoreless to earn the win.
Almonte and Terry each drove in a pair of Hickory runs.
The teams finish their series on Sunday afternoon at 1:05 pm. RHP Victor Santos starts for Lakewood opposite LHP John King.
Images from this story
Lakewood BlueClaws take a cut
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 6, 2019
- Rome Unable to Hold Early Leads in 6-4 Defeat - Rome Braves
- Power Holds off Drive 6-5 on Saturday - Greenville Drive
- Power Outlasts Greenville, 6-5, in Seesaw Affair - West Virginia Power
- 'Birds Falter in Extras for First Loss - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Legends Take Down Shorebirds in Walk-Off Fashion, 5-4 - Lexington Legends
- Augusta's Mistakes Open the Door for Asheville Win - Asheville Tourists
- Lara Launches Suns to First Win - Hagerstown Suns
- Senger's 8th-Inning Double Clinches First Win of Season - Columbia Fireflies
- Fireflies Stall RiverDogs' Hot Start as Wagaman Continues Tear - Charleston RiverDogs
- BlueClaws Fall to 0-3 with 9-1 Saturday Loss - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Fireflies Roster Move & Game Notes: April 6 vs. Charleston - Columbia Fireflies
- Game Notes (April 6) - West Virginia Power
- Hagerstown Suns Game Notes - Hagerstown Suns
- Kannapolis Defeats Rome 2-1 in Pitcher's Duel - Rome Braves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lakewood BlueClaws Stories
- Birds Draw 11 Walks, Blank BlueClaws 14-0
- Morales Fans 10 But Birds Walk-Off with 2-1 Win on Wednesday
- Kroon Comes Through; Claws Hold off Birds for 4-2 Tuesday Win
- Pitching Sharp But Claws Fall 2-1 at Greensboro
- Martin Stuns Claws Twice with Sunday Walk-Off Home Runs