Black Bears Fall to Titans in Close Battle
The Maryland Black Bears lost to the New Jersey Titans 4-3 on Friday night. The game needed every single second to decide a victor. This rivalry has grown as the season has progressed and that was on full display tonight.
The Black Bears displayed strong play in the first period. Black Bears Forward Luke Mountain continued his hot streak with an unassisted goal for a 1-0 lead. Goalie David Tomeo made some impressive saves and batted away all ten of the shots he faced in the first period.
In the second period, Lukas Ljungblom kept the Black Bear momentum going with a strike with an assist from Jude Kurtas. The Titans finally awoke from their giant slumber and responded by scoring three goals unanswered to end the second period.
Jude Kurtas ended the Titans' scoring streak with an equalizer of his own on a Luke Mountain assist. Strong played between both sides continued throughout the third period. Forward Kyler Jeffers of the Titans broke the knot that gave his team a 4-3 lead. The Black Bears battled to the very end and had many opportunities to answer on their final power play of the game. Jude Kurtas had a great look with seconds left in the game, but could not convert to extend their chances.
The Black Bears will look to split the series against the Titans tomorrow at 7:00 PM at the Middletown Ice World Arena.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2019
- Bugs Bounce Jacks - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bronte's Scores Late, Knights End Johnstown's 26 Home Game Win Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Pilots Drop Series Opener to Brahmas 6-2 - Topeka Pilots
- Bulls Take Night One of Three-Game Weekend - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Late Goal Sinks Tomahawks - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears Fall to Titans in Close Battle - Maryland Black Bears
- Titans Split Weekend Series with Rebels - New Jersey Titans
- Watson Absent this Weekend Due to Family Illness - Topeka Pilots
- Wilderness Head Trainer Jarrett Byrnes a Key Member of Team - Minnesota Wilderness
- Wings Pick up Road Win - Aberdeen Wings
- Playoff Racing - Minot Minotauros
- Bruins Surge Back, Beat Blizzard 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Pilots Set to Face Brahmas in Crucial South Division Matchup - Topeka Pilots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maryland Black Bears Stories
- TomahawksTop Black Bears 4-1
- Tomahawks Chop Black Bears
- Black Bears Forward Wilmer Skoog Named Forward of the Month in NAHL Monthly Player Awards for September
- Black Bears Veteran, Jonathan Young Traded to Amarillo Bulls for Forward Filip Jakobsson
- Black Bears Strong Play Completes Sweep against the Knights