Watson Absent this Weekend Due to Family Illness
Those attending the Pilots games this weekend may notice the absence of Head Coach Simon Watson from the bench. Due to a family illness, Watson made the decision to return home to Waterloo, Ontario to spend this difficult time with his family. Although he wishes he could be in Topeka to celebrate our fans for Fan Appreciation Weekend and lead the team during this playoff push, it's best that he's with his family in Canada during this time.
"As tough as it is to not be in Topeka for such a crucial weekend in our run for the playoffs, it is more important that I am with my family during this difficult time."
Watson will be watching the games live on HockeyTV to keep up with the action and in regard to Fan Appreciation Weekend, he sends his thanks to Pilots fans from afar.
"The buckets, the bells and the voices in the stands this season have been outstanding. Topeka and the surrounding communities have really come together to embrace the Pilots for our inaugural season and I can't thank every fan enough for their support. We expect Pilots fans to keep that energy up this weekend and cheer the team on during these important games."
The Pilots play tonight, Friday, March 29th and tomorrow, Saturday, March 30th at the Kansas ExpoCentre. For Fan Appreciation Weekend the Pilots are offering $10 any seat tickets, 25% off of all merchandise, $2 beer and soda both nights, $2 hotdogs on Friday, and $2 popcorn on Saturday. Because we expect a lot of walk up ticket sales, we encourage fans to purchase their tickets at the Kansas ExpoCentre Box Office as early as possible. The Box Office opens at 10am on Friday and noon on Saturday.
Please keep the Watson family in your thoughts and prayers while they push through this hard time.
• Discuss this story on the North American Hockey League message board...
North American Hockey League Stories from March 29, 2019
- Bugs Bounce Jacks - Shreveport Mudbugs
- Bronte's Scores Late, Knights End Johnstown's 26 Home Game Win Streak - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Knights
- Pilots Drop Series Opener to Brahmas 6-2 - Topeka Pilots
- Bulls Take Night One of Three-Game Weekend - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Late Goal Sinks Tomahawks - Johnstown Tomahawks
- Black Bears Fall to Titans in Close Battle - Maryland Black Bears
- Titans Split Weekend Series with Rebels - New Jersey Junior Titans
- Watson Absent this Weekend Due to Family Illness - Topeka Pilots
- Wilderness Head Trainer Jarrett Byrnes a Key Member of Team - Minnesota Wilderness
- Wings Pick up Road Win - Aberdeen Wings
- Playoff Racing - Minot Minotauros
- Bruins Surge Back, Beat Blizzard 4-3 - Austin Bruins
- Pilots Set to Face Brahmas in Crucial South Division Matchup - Topeka Pilots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.