'Birds Postseason Hopes Extinguished in Loss to Red Sox
SALEM, VA - The Delmarva Shorebirds were officially eliminated from postseason contention Tuesday night in an 8-2 loss against the Salem Red Sox at Salem Memorial Ballpark.
The Shorebirds (64-51) entered the night needing to win out against the Red Sox (70-45) to have a chance to make the postseason.
Delmarva got on the board first in the fourth inning. After a two-out walk to Colton Cowser, Coby Mayo blasted a triple to center to put Delmarva ahead 1-0.
Salem answered back immediately in the bottom half of the inning. With men at the corners and one out, Ceddanne Rafaela swiped second, forcing an error from the catcher and allowing Tyler McDonough to score from third. After a strikeout, Nick Decker singled home Rafaela to vault Salem ahead 2-1.
After a series of scoreless frames, Delmarva tied the game in the seventh. Connor Pavolony walked with one away and then stole second. Darell Hernaiz then came up clutch with two away to bloop in a single and score Pavolony to tie the game.
Once again though, Salem responded quickly. In the bottom of the inning, Nick Northcut doubled to right with Alex Erro following with a base hit to drive him in and give Salem the lead back.
The Red Sox plated five insurance runs in the eighth on an RBI single from Tyler Miller, a run scoring wild pitch, and a three-run homer for Nick Northcut, his 16th of the year, to close the scoring at 8-2.
Jacob Webb (1-0) collected the win out of the bullpen for Salem. Webb allowed a run on two hits in two innings, walking two and striking out three.
Thomas Girard (2-3) suffered the loss for Delmarva after allowing a run in two frames on two hits, striking out three.
With their postseason hopes now shattered, the Shorebirds will try to pick up the pieces on Wednesday, September 15 against the Red Sox. Ty Blach (0-0, 0.75) is slated to start for Delmarva against Chi-Jung Liu (5-1, 4.50) for Salem. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with pregame coverage beginning at 6:50 on Fox Sports 960 AM with Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from September 14, 2021
- FredNats Return Home in 5-3 Loss - Fredericksburg Nationals
- Binelas, Bello and Martinez Hit Solo Homers in Series Opening Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Negret Homer Not Enough to Beat Kannapolis - Columbia Fireflies
- Acuña Powers Wood Ducks to Win Over Charleston - Down East Wood Ducks
- Acuna's Walk-Off Slam Shocks RiverDogs in Extras - Charleston RiverDogs
- 'Birds Postseason Hopes Extinguished in Loss to Red Sox - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Move and Game Notes - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - vs. Charleston - Down East Wood Ducks
- Hoffmann Brings Home Low-A East Pitcher of the Week for September 7-12 - Augusta GreenJackets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Shorebirds Halloween Movie Night with Trick Or Treating this Saturday Presented by T-Mobile
- Shorebirds to Host Hocus Pocus Halloween Movie Night and Trick Or Treating Event Saturday, October 23 Presented by T-Mobile
- Shorebirds Release 2022 Season Schedule
- Shorebirds & Preston Automotive Group Raise over $10,000 in Funds and Toys to Support the Fight against Cancer
- 'Birds Cap off 2021 Season with Electric Win over Red Sox