'Birds Fifth Straight Win Powers Them to Series Win over FredNats
SALISBURY, MD - The Delmarva Shorebirds rallied from an early 4-0 deficit to storm back for a 6-4 win over the Fredericksburg Nationals on Friday night at Arthur W. Perdue Stadium.
The win secured the series for the Shorebirds (14-23) as they handed the Nationals (19-17) their fifth straight loss overall.
Fredericksburg jumped out to an early lead in the first. Jacob Young singled to start the frame and then stole second before Jeremy De La Rosa singled him in. A fielder's choice and a walk put two aboard for Allan Berrios who swatted a three-run homer, his first of the season, to make it 4-0.
The Shorebirds answered back with a four-run inning of their own in the second. Three straight one singles produced a run, the last of which coming from Moisés Ramirez. A walk to Luis Valdez loaded the bases before a wild pitch allowed everyone to advance while plating a run. After a fielder's choice denied a run at the plate, Darell Hernaiz ripped a two-run double to tie the game at 4-4.
In the third, Creed Willems singled with one away and after a strikeout Josué Cruz was hit by a pitch to put two aboard. Ramirez cashed in the two-out opportunity with a double to right-center, scoring both runners, to put the 'Birds ahead 6-4.
Both pitching staffs took over from there as nothing but zeroes went up on the scoreboard from the third inning onward. The FredNats staff retired the final 12 batters they faced while the Shorebirds bullpen fired 4.1 no-hit innings.
Hugo Beltran (2-1) earned his second straight win for the Shorebirds, recording just one out in the fifth with a strikeout, but stranded two inherited runners aboard to keep the 'Birds on top.
Jackson Rutledge (0-2) swallowed the loss for the FredNats, allowing six runs on six hits and a walk in 2.2 innings, striking out four.
Alex Pham recorded his second save of the season for Delmarva with three no-hit innings, allowing just two walks while striking out four.
The Shorebirds continue their six-game series with the Nationals on Saturday, May 21. Juan De Los Santos (1-3, 1.97) gets the ball for Delmarva against Andry Lara (0-2, 5.56) for Fredericksburg. First pitch from Perdue Stadium is slated for 7:05 p.m. with pregame coverage beginning at 6:50 p.m. on MiLB.TV and theshorebirds.com with Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 20, 2022
- Mendez Caps Carolina's Comeback with Walk-Off Grand Slam - Carolina Mudcats
- Berrios Blast Not Enough Friday In Salisbury - Fredericksburg Nationals
- RiverDogs Remain Undefeated on Friday Nights by Upending GreenJackets - Charleston RiverDogs
- Camarillo Long Ball Not Enough in 5-4 Loss - Columbia Fireflies
- 'Birds Fifth Straight Win Powers Them to Series Win over FredNats - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Columbia Fireflies Roster Moves and Game Notes May 20 vs Myrtle Beach - Columbia Fireflies
- Wicklander Becomes Third RiverDogs Hurler to Receive Promotion in 2022 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Molina's Go-Ahead Single Leads Woodpeckers to Third Straight Win - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Late Inning Surge Again Sees 'Birds Fall to FredNats in Series Finale
- Season High Five Errors Plague Shorebirds in Loss to FredNats as Kjerstad Extends Hitting Streak to 14 Games
- Kjerstad Smacks His Second Homer to Extend Hitting Streak to 13
- Solid Performances from Deivy Cruz and Heston Kjerstad Not Enough as 'Birds Walked-Off by FredNats
- Multiple Big Innings Down 'Birds in Fredericksburg; Kjerstad Turns Hitting Streak up to 11