'Birds Bounce Back to Triumph over Red Sox
SALEM, VA - In a see-saw battle, the Delmarva Shorebirds emerged victorious 4-3 over the Salem Red Sox on Wednesday night at Salem Memorial Ballpark.
One day after having their postseason hopes dashed by the Red Sox (70-46), the Shorebirds (65-41) returned to form with a solid performance.
Salem got on the board first however in the bottom of the second. After a Nick Decker two-out single, Nick Northcut swatted a double to score him and put Salem ahead 1-0.
Delmarva tied the game in the top of the third. Darell Hernaiz doubled with one away before Connor Norby walked. Colton Cowser then bounced into a fielder's choice that resulted in an error, allowing Hernaiz to score from second and tie the game.
After two walks and a wild pitch put two into scoring position with one out in the fifth, Cowser came through in the clutch with a two-run single to vault Delmarva ahead 3-1.
Decker doubled to start the Salem seventh and was brought home on another two-bagger from Brainer Bonacci. A walk and an infield single eventually loaded the bases with two away where Tyler Miller singled home Bonacci to tie the score at 3-3.
Donta' Williams ripped a triple by the dive of Angel Maita in rightfield to kick off the eighth and one batter later scored on Billy Cook's RBI knock, giving Delmarva the 4-3 win.
Rickey Ramirez (3-1) collected the win out of the bullpen for Delmarva. Ramirez went 2.1 shutout innings, striking out two and walking one while allowing two hits.
Yasel Santana (2-2) absorbed the loss for the Red Sox. He coughed up a run in two innings on three hits and a walk, striking out three.
The Shorebirds tango with the Red Sox again on Thursday, September 16 from Salem. Peter Van Loon (0-1, 2.45) draws the start for Delmarva against Wyatt Olds (0-0, 2.25) for Salem. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with pregame coverage beginning at 6:50 on Fox Sports 960 AM with Sam Jellinek on the call.
• Discuss this story on the Low-A East League message board...
Low-A East League Stories from September 15, 2021
- Pelicans Fall Victim to GreenJackets Pitching, Fall 4-0 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Binelas, Nnebe and Martinez Power Mudcats to Victory - Carolina Mudcats
- Hillcats' Doubles Lead to FredNats Loss - Fredericksburg Nationals
- 'Birds Bounce Back to Triumph over Red Sox - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Four-Run First Sets Stage for 8-2 Win - Charleston RiverDogs
- Wood Ducks Fall Behind Early and Lose to Charleston - Down East Wood Ducks
- Fireflies and Cannon Ballers Cancel Wednesday Contest - Columbia Fireflies
- Down East Wood Ducks Game Notes - 0 - Down East Wood Ducks
- Columbia Fireflies Game Notes vs Kannapolis - Columbia Fireflies
- Sox Magic Number Drops to Four After 8-2 Victory - Salem Red Sox
- Rally Falls Short, Pelicans Drop Series Opener to GreenJackets - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Delmarva Shorebirds Stories
- Shorebirds to Host Hocus Pocus Halloween Movie Night and Trick Or Treating Event Saturday, October 23 Presented by T-Mobile
- Shorebirds Release 2022 Season Schedule
- Shorebirds & Preston Automotive Group Raise over $10,000 in Funds and Toys to Support the Fight against Cancer
- 'Birds Cap off 2021 Season with Electric Win over Red Sox
- Early Deficit Dooms 'Birds in Loss to Red Sox