Big Offensive Night Lifts Skeeters To Triumph Over Bees
(Sugar Land, TX) - The Sugar Land Skeeters (21-13, 56-48) defeated the New Britain Bees (13-20, 48-54) 12-1 at Constellation Field on Friday evening in the opener of a seven-game series in the Lone Star State.
New Britain starting pitcher Rainy Lara (5-9) was tagged with the loss after surrendering seven runs (four earned runs) on nine hits in five innings on the mound, walking two while tossing a wild pitch and hitting a batter. Sugar Land starting pitcher Carlos Pimentel (4-1) registered the win as the right-hander allowed just one run on three hits (one home run) in six innings of work, walking three, striking out two, and firing a wild pitch.
Sugar Land opened up an immediate 3-0 lead versus Lara in the bottom half of the first inning thanks to a two-run single off the bat of Denis Phipps which was immediately followed by an RBI double produced by D.J. Peterson just one batter later. New Britain got to within 3-1 in the top of the third courtesy of a leadoff solo home run to right field from Rando Moreno off Pimentel, his second roundtripper of the season both of which have come in his last three games played overall. There was no comeback in the cards for the boys from the Hardware City on this muggy night as the Skeeters answered the bell after the Bees got to within a pair by scoring the final nine runs of the ballgame, with the two big hits coming by way of a solo blast from Albert Cordero after the fans stretched in the seventh, and a grand slam in the eighth by Juan Silverio while the Skeeters third baseman recorded a two-run triple earlier in the game en route to a six RBI performance before the home faithful. Brandon Fry had a successful relief stint on the bump for the visitors, as the southpaw tossed a scoreless frame while striking out a pair of batters in the process. Moreno, Ryan Jackson, and Zach Collier tallied one hit each in defeat.
The Bees return to New Britain Stadium on Friday, August 23rd when they welcome in the Long Island Ducks for a three-game weekend series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be another Fat Tire Friday in the Hardware City! Close out the week with some great baseball and a cold beer! Fat Tire Belgian Ale Drafts are just FIVE DOLLARS AT ANY CONCESSION STAND ALL NIGHT LONG!
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Barnstormers Even Series with 12-3 Win - York Revolution
- Bees Pitching Silences Skeeters Bats On A Saturday In The Lone Star State - New Britain Bees
- Patriots Drop 9-7 Battle - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Rally Past Rockers to Even Series - Long Island Ducks
- Crabs Cling on in 9-7 Victory - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Return Home with Big Comeback Victory over Barnstormers - York Revolution
- Big Offensive Night Lifts Skeeters To Triumph Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Rockers Pitching Stammers Long Island Bats - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Bees Keep Rockers Champagne On Ice For At Least One More Night
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes
- Timely Hitting Lifts Bees To Big Victory Over Rockers
- Bees Come From Behind In Bottom Of Eleventh To Walk-Off Skeeters
- Skeeters Hand Bees Third Straight Loss With Late-Game Comeback