Ducks Rally Past Rockers to Even Series
(High Point, N.C.) - The Long Island Ducks defeated the High Point Rockers 4-2 on Saturday night in the middle game of a three-game series at BB&T Point.
High Point opened the scoring in the second inning when Quincy Latimore hit a solo home run left field off Ducks starter Joe Iorio. An RBI groundout to shortstop from Latimore in the fourth extended the Rockers lead to two.
Long Island rallied to tie the game in the top of the sixth off Rockers starter Dominic DeMasi. An RBI single to left field by L.J. Mazzilli and a run-scoring fielder's choice off the bat of Lew Ford evened the score at two.
It stayed that way until the top of the ninth inning. Vladimir Frias reached on an RBI fielder's choice, scoring John Apostolo. Daniel Fields then scored on the same play due to a throwing error, giving the Ducks a 4-2 lead they would never relinquish.
Neither starter factored into the decision. Iorio lasted five and one-third innings, allowing two runs on five hits while striking out five. DeMasi pitched eight innings of two-run ball, yielding seven hits with five strikeouts. Pedro Beato (3-2) picked up the win with a scoreless eighth inning despite giving up a hit and a walk. Paul Clemens (1-2) took the loss, conceding two runs (one earned) on two hits in two-thirds of an inning. Michael Tonkin recorded his seventh save with a scoreless ninth, striking out one.
Ford and Clint Freeman each had two hits to lead the Flock offensively.
The Ducks and Rockers wrap up their three-game series on Sunday afternoon. First pitch is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. at BB&T Point. Fans can follow all the action by tuning into the Rockers game broadcast on YouTube, available. Right-hander Brandon Beachy (1-0, 3.24) toes the rubber for the Ducks against Rockers righty Joe Van Meter (6-3, 2.37).
Long Island returns home on Monday, August 19, to open a three-game series against the Somerset Patriots. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). It's a K-Man Merch Monday, and a designated player on the Patriots will be selected as the evening's K-Man. If the K-Man strikes out during the game, fans will receive a 10% savings on a specific item in the Waddle In Shop. If he strikes out a second time, the discount will grow to 20%. A third strikeout by the K-Man increases the savings to 30%. Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Long Island Ducks pitcher Joe Iorio
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Barnstormers Even Series with 12-3 Win - York Revolution
- Bees Pitching Silences Skeeters Bats On A Saturday In The Lone Star State - New Britain Bees
- Patriots Drop 9-7 Battle - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Rally Past Rockers to Even Series - Long Island Ducks
- Crabs Cling on in 9-7 Victory - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Return Home with Big Comeback Victory over Barnstormers - York Revolution
- Big Offensive Night Lifts Skeeters To Triumph Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Rockers Pitching Stammers Long Island Bats - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Beachy's Brilliance, Deibinson's Dinger Lead Ducks Past Rockers
- Mazzaro's Masterpiece Helps Ducks Blank Revolution
- Ducks Clinch Second Half Title and Winningest Season in Team History
- Ducks Launch Three Homers But Revs Rally Late
- Romero's Blast Not Enough to Top Revolution