Crabs Cling on in 9-7 Victory
Waldorf, MD - It was a back and forth affair in Southern Maryland. The Somerset Patriots put up three runs in the first two innings before the Blue Crabs plated eight unanswered including a six spot in the fourth. Four Patriots runs in the top of the eighth put up a scare, but the Blue Crabs clung on to a 9-7 victory.
After the Patriots plated a run in the first, they followed with a pair in the second inning. A Blue Crabs error started things off, and an avalanche of offense made the score 3-0, giving Somerset their fifth unearned run in five innings dating back to last night.
Southern Maryland shaved the Somerset lead in the third inning, Tony Thomas and Cory Vaughn went back-to-back on RBI base knocks, and the score was 3-2.
The Blue Crabs poured it on in a phenomenal bottom of the fourth. The six Southern Maryland runs in the frame were the second most in a single inning for the Blue Crabs this season and it started with Mike Falsetti who poked an RBI single into left field. After the Patriots' starter Rick Teasley (L, 4-2) intentionally walked Edwin Garcia to load the bases with one out, Josh McAdams came to the dish. He stayed red-hot and pounded a pitch to score a pair, and Tony Thomas finished it off with his second RBI base knock of the contest. The Blue Crabs exited the fourth having scored eight unanswered runs and held an 8-3 lead.
Kyle Simon (W, 4-8) tossed 7.1 innings, and for the sixth start in a row, his earned run average took a nose dive while working at least seven innings for his fifth straight start.
The Patriots strung together a scare in the top of the eighth inning. Simon exited with a pair of inherited runners that would both score, and when it was all said and done the Patriots plated a four spot in the eighth.
After responding with a run of their own in the bottom half of the eighth, Mat Latos (S, 19) did his job to shut the door on a Blue Crabs dramatic 9-7 win.
The Blue Crabs will return home tomorrow, Sunday August 18th for the series finale of a three game set with the Somerset Patriots with a 2:05 p.m first pitch.
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Barnstormers Even Series with 12-3 Win - York Revolution
- Bees Pitching Silences Skeeters Bats On A Saturday In The Lone Star State - New Britain Bees
- Patriots Drop 9-7 Battle - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Rally Past Rockers to Even Series - Long Island Ducks
- Crabs Cling on in 9-7 Victory - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Return Home with Big Comeback Victory over Barnstormers - York Revolution
- Big Offensive Night Lifts Skeeters To Triumph Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Rockers Pitching Stammers Long Island Bats - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Southern Maryland Blue Crabs Stories
- Blue Crabs Drop Finale with Stormers
- Blue Crabs Drop Second to Last Home Game of the Season
- Crabs Shutout Stormers Again
- Blue Crabs Set Two Atlantic League Records in Win
- Crabs Walk-Off Ducks, Keep Playoff Hopes Alive