Rockers Pitching Stammers Long Island Bats
(High Point, N.C.) - The Long Island Ducks were defeated by the High Point Rockers 6-1 on Friday night in the opener of a three-game series at BB&T Point.
Long Island scored first when Vladimir Frias came around to score on a throwing error by Rockers catcher Matt Jones in the top of the third. However, High Point tied the game in the home half of the fourth when Quincy Latimore lined a home run over the left field wall.
The Rockers took a 3-1 lead in the fifth after an RBI single from Michael Russell and Hector Gomez lifted a sacrifice fly to right. An RBI single by Myles Schroder in the seventh and a run-scoring double in the eighth off the bat of Gomez rounded out the scoring for High Point.
High Point starting pitcher Michael Bowden (2-2) picked up the win for the Rockers, allowing just one unearned run over six innings on five hits and two walks, while striking out eight. Starter Brian Matusz (0-1) was tagged with the loss for the Ducks, tossing four innings and yielding three runs on three hits and five walks with three strikeouts.
Deibinson Romero led the Flock offensively with three hits, including a double.
The Ducks ready themselves for the middle game of their three-game series against the High Point Rockers. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. at BB&T Point. Fans can follow all the action by tuning into the Rockers game broadcast on YouTube, available. Right-hander Joe Iorio (5-2, 2.87) gets the start for the Ducks against Rockers righty Dominic DeMasi (6-2, 3.32).
Long Island returns home on Monday, August 19, to open a three-game series against the Somerset Patriots. Game time is slated for 6:35 p.m., with the Bethpage Ballpark gates opening at 5:35 (5:20 for full season ticket holders). It's a K-Man Merch Monday, and a designated player on the Patriots will be selected as the evening's K-Man. If the K-Man strikes out during the game, fans will receive a 10% savings on a specific item in the Waddle In Shop. If he strikes out a second time, the discount will grow to 20%. A third strikeout by the K-Man increases the savings to 30%. Tickets to the game, and all Ducks home games, can be purchased by visiting the box office, calling (631) 940-TIXX.
The Long Island Ducks are members of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball and play their home games at Bethpage Ballpark. For further information, call (631) 940-DUCK or visit www.liducks.com.
Images from this story
Long Island Ducks first baseman Deibinson Romero
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 17, 2019
- Barnstormers Even Series with 12-3 Win - York Revolution
- Bees Pitching Silences Skeeters Bats On A Saturday In The Lone Star State - New Britain Bees
- Patriots Drop 9-7 Battle - Somerset Patriots
- Ducks Rally Past Rockers to Even Series - Long Island Ducks
- Crabs Cling on in 9-7 Victory - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Return Home with Big Comeback Victory over Barnstormers - York Revolution
- Big Offensive Night Lifts Skeeters To Triumph Over Bees - New Britain Bees
- Rockers Pitching Stammers Long Island Bats - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Long Island Ducks Stories
- Rockers Even up Series with Big Fourth Inning
- Beachy's Brilliance, Deibinson's Dinger Lead Ducks Past Rockers
- Mazzaro's Masterpiece Helps Ducks Blank Revolution
- Ducks Clinch Second Half Title and Winningest Season in Team History
- Ducks Launch Three Homers But Revs Rally Late