Big Innings Lift Tucson Again
Tucson scored eight runs in the fourth and fifth innings Monday night on the way to a 9-4 win over Salt Lake at Franklin Covey Field. The Sidewinders scored 29 runs over the last 20 innings of the series to claim three of the four games in the series and split an eight-game road trip through Salt Lake and Edmonton. The Sidewinders return home Tuesday to begin an eight-game homestand against the same two teams.
Casey Daigle earned his first Triple-A win in his fourth start. Salt Lake did score first off Daigle, plating a run in the bottom of the second on a Gary Johnson RBI double.
Tucson tied the game in the top of the third when Victor Hall singled in Brian Barden. The Sidewinders claimed the lead for good with a five-run fourth inning. Craig Ansman blasted a long two-run homer off Stingers starter Steve Green for a 3-1 lead. Keoni DeRenne produced a sacrifice fly, Brian Barden tripled in a run and Jerry Gil's sac fly chased home Barden with the fifth run of the frame.
The Sidewinders scored three more runs in the fifth. DeRenne's run scoring single scored Steve Neal who had reached on an error. Barden drove in another run with a ground out before Gil doubled in DeRenne to push the lead to 9-2.
Casey Kotchman hit a two-run homer off Daigle in the bottom of the sixth to cut the Sidewinders lead to 9-4.
Daigle pitched 7.1 innings, allowing eight hits and four runs, while walking one and striking out three.
Barden led the Sidewinders with three hits. Hall and Julio Ramirez each contributed two hits.
Tucson improved to 39-32. The Sidewinders return home Tuesday to begin a four-game series with Edmonton with a 7:00 p.m. start. Edgar Gonzalez (2-5 5.03) will start for the Sidewinders against the Trappers Josh Karp (3-5 4.84). The game will be broadcast live on Cool 1450 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 21, 2004
- Blanton, DeFrancesco To Participate In All-Star Futures Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Big Innings Lift Tucson Again - Tucson Sidewinders
- Beavers broadcaster Burk to Expos, Neyer joins TV broadcast team - Portland Beavers
- Sox Return Home for 10 Games in 8 Days - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sox Shutout Cubs - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bucky Jacobsen, John Rheinecker Win PCL Player of the Week Honors - PCL
- Redbirds Selected for Wild Oats 5% Day - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Topes return home to host Oklahoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Expos option Jeremy Fikac to Edmonton - Edmonton Trappers
- Tucson Sidewinders return home - Tucson Sidewinders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.