Bucky Jacobsen, John Rheinecker Win PCL Player of the Week Honors
June 21, 2004 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. After driving in 12 runs in nine contests, Tacoma Rainiers designated hitter Larry Bucky Jacobsen wins the Pacific Coast League Batter of the Week award for games beginning on June 14th and continuing through June 20th. Sacramento River Cats left-hander John Rheinecker earns the Leagues pitchers accolade for the same period by winning both his starts for the week while posting a 1.20 earned run average.
Jacobsen, who lives in nearby Hermiston, Oregon and attended Lewis and Clark State College in Idaho, went on a mid-week home run tear, belting a homer in three straight games, his longest streak this season. In the second game of a doubleheader against Salt Lake on June 15th, the Seattle Mariners farmhand went 2-for-3 with a homer and an RBI before hitting a double, a homer, and driving in three more in another 2-for-3 performance the following day. In the first game of another doubleheader on June 17th, Jacobsen collected his third homer in as many days after belting a two-run home run that was the difference in a 4-2 Rainiers win over the Stingers. For the week, the slugger hit .360 with six runs scored and tallied an .800 slugging percentage while increasing his League-leading RBI total to 65.
River Cats lefty Rheinecker began the week on June 14th by shutting out the Fresno Grizzlies on three hits through eight innings to earn his fifth victory of the season and his fourth triumph in his last six outings. The eight frames marked the most the resident of Waterloo, Illinois had gone in a game this season. Five days later, the Oakland As prospect held Jacobsen and the potent Tacoma Rainiers to two runs on seven hits through seven innings while striking out a season-high nine for his sixth win of the year. In his two starts this week, the former Southwest Missouri State Bear held opponents to a .189 batting average while moving into a tie for fourth in the PCL in wins.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from June 21, 2004
- Blanton, DeFrancesco To Participate In All-Star Futures Game - Sacramento River Cats
- Big Innings Lift Tucson Again - Tucson Sidewinders
- Beavers broadcaster Burk to Expos, Neyer joins TV broadcast team - Portland Beavers
- Sox Return Home for 10 Games in 8 Days - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sox Shutout Cubs - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Bucky Jacobsen, John Rheinecker Win PCL Player of the Week Honors - PCL
- Redbirds Selected for Wild Oats 5% Day - Memphis Redbirds
- 'Topes return home to host Oklahoma - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Expos option Jeremy Fikac to Edmonton - Edmonton Trappers
- Tucson Sidewinders return home - Tucson Sidewinders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.