Big crowd sees Aces win, 5-3
Alexandria, LA Saturday July 28, 2007- The Alexandria defeated the Laredo Broncos by the score of 5-3 here in front of a season high 2,436 at Bringhurst Field. The Aces have taken the firts two games of the series and are winners of four in a row and are 5-1 cuurently on the seven game home stand, with tomorrow's 5:05 start the final game.
Aces starter Frank James rebounded from his last outing with a 7.0 inning performance to keep the Aces on their winning ways. James (7-3) allowed three runs on seven hits, while walking four and striking out three. Adam Frey worked the final 2.0 innings to pick up his first save of the season. Frey allowed only two hits and and walked one, and looked crisper out of the bullpen once again.
Selwyn Langaigne's rbi infield single in the bottom of the seventh inning broke open a 3-3 game and gave the Aces the lead for good. Langaigne went 1-for-4 with a rbi on the night to continue his hitting streak on the homestand at 6 games. Richard Paz was 2-for-3 with two runs scored and Palmer Karr was 2-for-3 with three runs batted in to lead the 10 hit Aces attack. Palmer Karr is now in second place with 74 rbi and gaining on the league leader in runs batted in Nilson Teilon from Edinburg, who leads with 77.
Broncos starter Santos Hernandez lasted 6.1 innings, allowing five runs on nine hits, while walking four and striking out six in pick,ing up the loss. Hernandez (8-3), a former Alexandria Ace, threw 119 pitches, with 65 being for strikes. Rusty Jones didn't record an out and allowed the single to Langaigne and walked Tranum on his two batters that he faced. Jon Smith worked .2 of an inning srtiking out two and walking one without allowing a hit. Kyle Gibson worked a scoreless eighth while striking out two for Laredo.
With the win the Aces improve to a league best 47-27 overall and 20-5 in the second half, and hold at least a 6.0 game olead over Amarillo and San Angelo who are playing tonight.
The loss drops the Broncos to 30-44 overall and 10-15 in the second half, 10.0 games behind the first place Aces.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- Brian Bunyan (3-0) LAR--TBA
Next home game: Sunday July 29, 2007, Sam's Club Best Family Deal Ever.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from July 28, 2007
- Coyotes Sweep Wings in Double-Dip - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Bennett Allows First Earned Runs In 7-6 Game Two Loss - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Dillas comeback from down 7-2, but fall 10-7 to Colts - Amarillo Dillas
- Big crowd sees Aces win, 5-3 - Alexandria Aces
- Rocha dominates WhiteWings in game one - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th