Bethlehem Steel FC Re-Signs Midfielder James Chambers
CHESTER, Pa. - Bethlehem Steel FC announced today that the club has re-signed midfielder James Chambers to a USL Championship contract. A 31-year-old midfielder from Dublin, Ireland, Chambers returns to Steel FC after a successful 2018 USL campaign. The deal is pending league and federation approval. Chambers will be added to the Steel's active roster following receipt of his P1 Visa.
"We are excited to welcome James back to Bethlehem this season. He is a relentless, strong and versatile player with the capacity to lead by example when his teammates need him most," said Union Sporting Director Ernst Tanner. "The leadership and energy that James brings to the club are instrumental to the Steel and we look forward to having him as a role model on and off the field once again."
With Chambers returning to Steel FC, he remains the only player to be with the club since its modern-era founding. While serving as team captain he has led the club to USL Cup Playoff appearances in each of the past two seasons, earning the Steel their first appearance in the Eastern Conference Semifinals. Chambers has made 84 appearances (79 starts) for Steel FC, playing a total of 7,050 minutes, scoring 13 goals and providing six assists. The captain is the club's modern-era leader in appearances, starts and minutes-played.
"James is a very important piece of our project and re-signing him was our top priority this off-season," said Brendan Burke, Steel FC Head Coach. "His leadership qualities, competitive drive and skill set make him invaluable to us."
On the international stage, Chambers has earned a cap at every youth level for the Republic of Ireland. He made his Under-23 debut against England in 2010 and made three appearances for Ireland's U-21s at the 2007 Madeira tournament in Portugal. Chambers has also made appearances for the Republic of Ireland's U-19s, U-18s, U-17s, U-16s and U-15s.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 10, 2019
- Indy Eleven Sign Defender Macauley King - Indy Eleven
- Louisville City FC Confirms 2019 Preseason Schedule - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Exercise 2019 Contract Options on Five Players - LA Galaxy II
- Energy FC Sign Local Star - OKC Energy FC
- Independence Ink Post-Season Veteran - Charlotte Independence
- Phoenix Rising Signs Sierra Leone International Defender Mustapha Dumbuya - Phoenix Rising FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Re-Signs Midfielder James Chambers - Bethlehem Steel FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Bethlehem Steel FC Stories
- Bethlehem Steel FC Buried by Charleston
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Charleston Battery
- Faris becomes the second Steel FC player to score 10 goals in a single season
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Ottawa Fury FC
- Selmir Miscic breaks the record as the youngest goalscorer for Steel FC in loss