Energy FC Sign Local Star
OKLAHOMA CITY - Energy FC have signed midfielder Josh Garcia, Head Coach Steve Cooke announced today. Garcia, a product of US Grant High School in Oklahoma City, joins the first team after a successful 2018 season as captain of the Energy FC U23 team, where he scored two goals and provided four assists in 11 matches. Garcia participated in Energy FC's open tryouts in 2018 and earned a spot on the U23 roster as well as the opportunity to train with the first team.
Prior to his time with the Energy FC organization, Garcia played collegiately at Northern Oklahoma College and Friends University. During his high school career at US Grant, Garcia led the Generals to the playoffs three consecutive years and earned second-team All-City honors as a senior.
"Josh had a really good season in our PDL team," said Cooke. "We worked with him all preseason so that he could be ready for the PDL season. When he played in our U23 team, for me, he was the standout player. Not only for his performances but because his performances were very consistent, hardworking and also in a variety of positions. I think Josh can be a good contributor in any of the right wing, left wing or number 10 positions, and I think he brings a great deal of versatility to our squad."
In addition to his technical ability, Cooke also made mention of Garcia's abilities away from the pitch.
"The number one thing I would say with Josh Garcia is that his life story is one of real inspiration - inspiration for me as well as everyone else. He's one of the greatest people I've ever met in my life. He's a person who always perseveres and sees the future for himself being a really bright one. I know that in his life he's overcome a lot of adversity, and he's really only just growing into his playing career.
"Obviously, he's a local Oklahoma City boy, and I think a lot of young players are going to look to Josh for that little bit of inspiration and that vision of where they can also go in their careers. I couldn't be prouder of him, and I couldn't be more pleased to be able to bring him into the group."
Energy FC begin the 2019 season on the road against expansion club El Paso Locomotive FC Saturday, March 9. The first home match will be against Las Vegas Lights FC Saturday, March 16 at Taft Stadium.
Images from this story
Josh Garcia (right) with Energy FC's U23 team
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from January 10, 2019
- Indy Eleven Sign Defender Macauley King - Indy Eleven
- Louisville City FC Confirms 2019 Preseason Schedule - Louisville City FC
- LA Galaxy II Exercise 2019 Contract Options on Five Players - LA Galaxy II
- Energy FC Sign Local Star - OKC Energy FC
- Independence Ink Post-Season Veteran - Charlotte Independence
- Phoenix Rising Signs Sierra Leone International Defender Mustapha Dumbuya - Phoenix Rising FC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Re-Signs Midfielder James Chambers - Bethlehem Steel FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent OKC Energy FC Stories
- Energy FC Play Final Match of 2019 Tomorrow Night
- Energy FC Play Final Home Match Tomorrow Night
- Energy FC to Host Parks and Rec Night with Special Guest Perd Hapley
- Energy FC in Orange County for Must-Win Match Saturday Night
- Energy FC Take on LA Galaxy II Tomorrow Night