Bees Score Five in Seventh to Beat Beavers
Luis Figueroa's two-run single capped a five-run rally in the bottom of the seventh inning and the Salt Lake Bees won for the 10th time in their last 12 games as they beat the Portland Beavers 5-4 at Spring Mobile Ballpark Thursday night.
Down 4-0, the Bees (54-51) rallied for five runs in the inning against Beavers starter Cesar Carrillo and reliever Luis Perdomo (3-3). Former Beaver Paul McAnulty led off with his second double of the game and Terry Evans walked. With one out, Drew Meyer doubled to center to plate McAnulty and chase Carrillo. Two more runs scored when Portland shortstop Lance Zawadzki threw away a groundball on a force attempt. Figueroa then grounded a single back up the middle to put the Bees on top for good.
Fernando Rodriguez (3-4) got the win, giving up four runs (3 earned) on six hits and a walk in seven innings. He struck out six.
Craig Cooper did all the damage for the Beavers (39-66), belting two home runs - a three-run shot in the fourth and a solo blast in the sixth. Luis Durango was 2-for-2 with a walk and a stolen base.
Carrillo cruised through the first six innings despite the defense behind him matching a season high with four errors. He gave up three runs - all earned - on six hits and a walk while fanning four.
Matt Palmer notched his second save with a scoreless ninth.
The Beavers and Bees continue their series Thursday night at 6:05 p.m. (Pacific).
NOTES: The Bees are 8-2 against Portland this season ... it was Cooper's first multi-homer game with Portland ... Durango ranks third in the PCL with 29 stolen bases.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 29, 2010
- Late Cubs Surge Sinks Isotopes 4-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Reno Cruises to 11-3 Win Over 51s - Reno Aces
- Bees Score Five in Seventh to Beat Beavers - Portland Beavers
- 'Birds Down Z's 8-5 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Fall at Oklahoma City 8-1 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Drop Second Straight Game to Royals - Nashville Sounds
- Astros Make Second Deal, Acquire 1B Wallace from Toronto - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Toronto Blue Jays Trade 51s Brett Wallace to Houston for OF Anthony Gose - Las Vegas Aviators
- Bark in the Park at Security Service Field; Two Dates Remain for Dog-Friendly Games - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss