Bees Conclude Winning Homestand With Series Victory Over Rockers
(New Britain, CT) - The New Britain Bees (13-19, 48-53) defeated the High Point Rockers (18-17, 59-46) 6-5 at New Britain Stadium on Thursday night as the boys from the Hardware City take three of the four games played in the intra-division matchup.
New Britain starting pitcher Devin Burke registered a no-decision in the contest after allowing four runs (three earned runs) on seven hits in five innings pitched, walking two and striking out four. High Point starting pitcher Chris Pennell also did not factor in the game's final outcome, surrendering three runs on four hits across five innings of work, walking three and striking out two. Jose Rosario retired the side in order in the top half of the ninth for his sixth save overall.
High Point took a 1-0 lead versus Burke just four batters into the matchup when Richie Shaffer drove in Stephen Cardullo with a run-scoring groundout after Cardullo gave the keynote in the ballgame reaching on an infield single. New Britain tied the game at one in the last of the first courtesy of an RBI base knock off the bat of Jason Rogers that plated Darren Ford after he led off the rally with a walk and his team-leading 30th stolen base of the season. The Bees got to within 3-2 in the home half of the third frame when Ryan Jackson tallied a two-out base hit that scored Rando Moreno. New Britain cut their deficit to 4-3 in the bottom of the fifth when Moreno doubled off the wall in right centerfield that allowed Ozzie Martinez to score all the way from first base as he got a great read on the baseball. The Bees went ahead for good just one inning later, scoring three more times to take their first lead of the evening 6-4, with the big blow coming off the bat of Jared James as he slashed a go-ahead run-scoring single to the opposite field in left for his 28th rib-eye steak of the campaign. After the Rockers got to within 6-5 in the eighth, Rosario came on and shut the door in High Point's final turn at the plate, retiring the visitors in order by striking out pinch-hitter Viosergy Rosa looking and inducing Cardullo to pop out and Jared Mitchel to fly out as New Britain won their third consecutive game overall while also recording their third straight come-from-behind win and 27th in 2019, closing out the homestand with a winning record of 4-3 in the process. Seven different players in the lineup each tallied one hit en route to the victory.
The Bees return to New Britain Stadium on Friday, August 23rd when they welcome in the Long Island Ducks for a three-game weekend series. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 P.M. It will be another Fat Tire Friday in the Hardware City! Close out the week with some great baseball and a cold beer! Fat Tire Belgian Ale Drafts are just FIVE DOLLARS AT ANY CONCESSION STAND ALL NIGHT LONG! C
• Discuss this story on the Atlantic League message board...
Atlantic League Stories from August 15, 2019
- Revs Return Home from Long Island Empty Handed - York Revolution
- Dodson Shines But Patriots Drop Series Finale - Somerset Patriots
- Bees Conclude Winning Homestand With Series Victory Over Rockers - New Britain Bees
- Barnstormers Take Series Finale, 7-1 - Lancaster Barnstormers
- Big Night from Bats Helps Ducks Complete Sweep of Revs - Long Island Ducks
- Teeter Totter Game Tilts in Favor of Sugar Land - Southern Maryland Blue Crabs
- Revs Dealt Extra Dose of Frustration in Doubleheader Sweep - York Revolution
- Bees Home-Field Dominance Of Rockers Continues With Wednesday Win - New Britain Bees
- Ducks Sweep Doubleheader with Back-To-Back Waddle-Off Wins - Long Island Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Britain Bees Stories
- Rockers Win Deals Bees Crushing Blow To Playoff Hopes
- Timely Hitting Lifts Bees To Big Victory Over Rockers
- Bees Come From Behind In Bottom Of Eleventh To Walk-Off Skeeters
- Skeeters Hand Bees Third Straight Loss With Late-Game Comeback
- Skeeters Sweep Bees In Hardware City Double-Dip