Beavers' Lance Zawadzki Selected By San Diego
PORTLAND, Ore. - The San Diego Padres today selected the contract of infielder Lance Zawadzki (zuh-WAD-skee) from Portland and placed infielder Everth Cabrera on the 15-day disabled list (retroactive to April 27) with a strained right hamstring. In order to create room on the 40-man roster, the Padres also placed infielder Matt Antonelli on the 60-day disabled list with a fractured left hook of the hamate bone.
Zawadzki, 24, has batted .162 (11-for-68) with one double, two RBIs and eight runs scored in 17 games with the Beavers this season. Over parts of four minor league seasons in the Padres organization, Zawadzki has hit .276 (316-for-1147) with 59 doubles, 13 triples, 25 home runs, 156 RBI and 174 runs scored in 301 games. By appearing in a game with the Padres, Zawadzki would become the first player from Portland's 2010 Opening Day roster to make his major league debut.
Cabrera, 23, has appeared in 18 games for the Padres this season, hitting .209 (14-for-67) with three doubles, one triple, 11 RBIs and four runs scored. Over parts of two seasons with San Diego, he has hit .248 (110-for-444) with 21 doubles, nine triples, two home runs, 42 RBIs and 63 runs scored in 121 games.
Antonelli, 25, has not appeared in a game this season after suffering the injury at the tail-end of spring training. He has hit .257 (354-for-1379) with 68 doubles, 13 triples, 32 home runs, 161 RBIs and 251 runs scored in 378 career minor league games, including .196 (37-for-189) with 11 doubles, four home runs, 22 RBIs and 25 runs in 59 games with Portland in 2009. Antonelli has also appeared in 21 Major League games, hitting .193 (11-for-57) with two doubles, one home run, three RBIs and six runs scored.
With today's moves, the Beavers' roster is at 23.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 30, 2010
- Cooper collects three hits, two RBIs in 3-2 victory at Salt Lake - Portland Beavers
- Oklahoma City wins over New Orleans - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Redhawks rip the Zephyrs - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sounds Win 7th Straight, 7-4 Over Memphis - Nashville Sounds
- Cubs lose to Omaha Royals - Iowa Cubs
- Beavers' Lance Zawadzki Selected By San Diego - Portland Beavers
- Isotopes To Participate At Challenger Little League Clinic - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Angels Assign Frandsen To Salt Lake, Statia Reassigned To Arkansas - Salt Lake Bees
- Comedy Legend Will Ferrell to Visit The Dell Diamond May 6 - Round Rock Express
- Rainiers Walk Off With Win In Extras - Tacoma Rainiers
- Tacoma Downs Reno 8-6 In 14 Innings - Reno Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Beavers Stories
- Statement from Merritt Paulson regarding ownership of the Portland Beavers
- Beavers, Timbers Community Fund Again Recognized by Corporate Philanthropy Awards
- Beavers Win Final Game at PGE Park in Dramatic Fashion
- Young, Geer Combine on Three-Hitter as Beavers Beat 51's
- Portland held to four hits in 9-1 loss