Bears Fall on Hawks Walk-Off Home Run
The Yakima Bears started a three-game series against the Boise Hawks at Memorial Stadium in Boise, Idaho with a 5-4 loss to the Boise Hawks Monday night. The win for the Hawks came on a walk-off home run by Paul Hoilman at the start of the bottom of the tenth inning.
The Bears jumped in front with a two-run double by Westley Moss that scored Steve Rodriguez and Danny Pulfter, who had both reached with two outs in the second inning. After the Hawks tightened the game with a run in the fifth, the Bears got back-to-back solo homers from Henry Zabala and Justin Hilt at the start of the sixth inning.
Bears starting pitcher Adam Kudryk would not come back out for the seventh inning. The lefty spread out eight hits and three walks, allowing just one run and leaving with his team in front 4-1. Reliever Drew Zizinia gave up a pair of runs in the seventh inning and Sammy De Los Santos was charged with an unearned run in the eighth that tied the game.
De Los Santos stayed in the game to pitch a scoreless ninth inning and was sent back out for the tenth. After getting ahead of batter Paul Hoilman 0-2, the next pitch was taken over the left field wall for Hoilman's third homer of the season. De Los Santos took the loss, dropping to 0-2.
Both teams managed 12 hits in the game, with only two Bears starters going hitless. Jimmy Comerota went 3-for-4 with a walk and Zach Jones had two singles in five at-bats. Zabala went 2-for-3 with a triple and a home run before leaving the game early. The Bears offense also successfully stole 4-of-5 bases in the game.
The Bears went 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 13 runners on base in the loss.
The Bears play game two of the current eight-game road trip Tuesday night against the Hawks at Memorial Stadium. Right-handed pitcher Alex Capaul will make his first professional start, while lefty Willengton Cruz is expected to start for the Hawks. Game time is scheduled for 6:15 pacific time.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from July 5, 2011
- Hawks Win Sixth Straight with 5-4 Extra-Inning Victory - Boise Hawks
- Volcanoes Upcoming Homestand Features Giants' World Series Trophy, Salute to Portland Beavers Night - Salem-Keizer Volcanoes
- Sox Snap Home Losing Streak with 5-Run First - Everett AquaSox
- C's Part Of History On Monday As Ems Win 13th Straight - Vancouver Canadians
- Jorge Alfaro Provides Fireworks in 4th of July Victory - Spokane Indians
- Bears Fall on Hawks Walk-Off Home Run - Yakima Bears
- Hoilman's Homer Gives Boise Walk-off Win - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.