Bears defeated 3-2
The Yakima Bears were defeated 3-2 by the Spokane Indians at Avista Stadium in Spokane, Washington Tuesday night. The loss for the Bears gave the Indians a three game series sweep, with all three games featuring unearned runs that proved to be the difference in one-run losses each night for the Bears.
The Bears took the lead in the second inning on an odd play. With the bases loaded, Tyler Bream hit a pop fly to shallow left field that was not caught and Henry Zabala raced home to score. Bream was out on the infield fly rule and did not get a RBI.
After the Indians tied the game with a run in the fourth inning, Raul Navarro doubled down the right field line in the fifth inning to score Kerry Jenkins, who had reached on a single and stolen second base.
Bears starting pitcher Teo Gutierrez left after the fifth inning with the Bears in front 2-1. Gutierrez had three strikeouts and only allowed one run on four hits and no walks in his five innings of work.
With Brad Wilson make his first relief appearance for the Bears, the defense failed the Bears in the seventh inning. Three Yakima errors in the seventh led to two unearned runs on Wilson, who would go on to take the loss as those two runs were the final runs of the game.
Both teams finished with six hits in the game, with four Bears batters going 1-for-3 and Zabala finishing 2-for-4.
The Bears committed seven errors in the series, which was just the second time the team has been swept this season.
Now 4-10 in the second half, the Bears start an eight-game homestand Wednesday at Yakima County Stadium. The first five games are against the Vancouver Canadians. Game time Wednesday is scheduled for 7:05. Right-handed pitcher Yiomar Camacho is the expected starter for the Bears in the series opener, while the Canadians starter is still to be determined.
• Discuss this story on the Northwest League message board...
Northwest League Stories from August 10, 2011
- Hawks End Losing Streak With Victory Over Emeralds - Boise Hawks
- Canadians Manager John Schneider Takes Leave of Absence - Vancouver Canadians
- Boise Hawks Partner with Susan G. Komen for the Cure - Boise Hawks
- 12-2 Rout Stamps Sox Sweep of Vancouver - Everett AquaSox
- Indians Sweep Bears as 1st Round Pick Kevin Matthews Debuts in 3-2 Win - Spokane Indians
- Bears defeated 3-2 - Yakima Bears
- Surging Dust Devils Shut out Hawks 3-0 - Tri-City Dust Devils
- C's still dealing with defensive woes, commit four errors in third straight loss - Vancouver Canadians
- Dust Devils complete three-game sweep of Boise - Boise Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.