Beach Bums Drop Third Straight to Washington
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Traverse City Beach Bums(31-34) couldn't overcome a damaging third inning as they fell to the Washington Wild Things(36-30), 7-3.
After a scoreless first, Alexis Rivera led off the second with a double down the left field line. Luke Lowery flew out to deep center, moving Rivera to third then Kendall Patrick drove him home with a single, giving the Bums a 1-0 lead.
Washington responded by sending 10 men to the plate in the top of the third. Roman Collins and Mike Hill hit RBI doubles, Carter McEachern drove in three with a double, and Conner Simonetti hit an RBI single for a 6-1 Washington lead. With two outs in the sixth, Luke Lowery reached on an infield single then stole second. Connor Oliver followed with a double down the right field line, scoring Lowery to make it 6-2.
In the eighth, Lowery singled and stole second again. After moving to third on a wild pitch, Patrick drove him home with a single to left, pulling the Beach Bums within three. With one out in the top of the ninth, Washington sealed the game with a solo home run that slipped over the right field wall in the corner for a 7-3 score.
Thomas Dorminy picked up the win for Washington, improving his record to 8-4 on the season. He went seven and two-third innings, allowing three runs on 11 hits and a walk. Luke DeVenney suffered the loss, working four innings, and allowing six runs on seven hits and two walks. He falls to 0-2. Andrew Click, Matt Williams, and John Michael Knighton only allowed a run on two hits over five innings in an effort to keep the Bums in the game.
On Wednesday night, the Beach Bums hit the road to Marion, IL for a quick three game set against the Southern Illinois Miners, starting with a doubleheader. First pitch for game one is scheduled for 6:30pm eastern and Tom Willms will have the call, starting with the Budweiser pregame show, at 6:10. You can listen along from anywhere in the world at TCBeachBums.com.
What could be better than a warm summer night at the ballpark, laughing with friends and family, while celebrating America's pastime and cheering on the Beach Bums? Adding Fireworks into the mix! Tonight's Fantastic Fireworks Friday out at Wuerfel Park is brought to you by one of our newest sponsors, DTE Energy. So come on out and join us as the Bums take on the Normal Cornbelters, and stick around to see the most FANTASTICAL Firework display after the game! Gates open at 6pm for a 7:05pm start. For information and tickets, go to TCBeachBums.com or call the office at (231) 943-0100.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 29, 2018
- Normal Hangs on to Sweep Gateway - Normal CornBelters
- Limited Offense Lands Florence Series Split - Florence Freedom
- Otters Outslugged by Rascals in Series Finale - Evansville Otters
- Miners Use Early Offense, Stout Pitching to Top Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Third Big in Series Sweep-Clinching Win - Washington Wild Things
- Beach Bums Drop Third Straight to Washington - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Crushers drop series finale - Lake Erie Crushers
- ThunderBolts Knock off Crushers with Late Flourish - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Homers Send Joliet to Series Win over Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Take Series vs Schaumburg with Win Sunday - Joliet Slammers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.