Barons Win Final Home Series in Dominant Afternoon
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. - Clutch hitting and stout pitching from some of the hottest players for the Birmingham Barons (64-71) resulted in a home team 3-0 shutout victory Sunday afternoon over the visiting Biloxi Shuckers (81-57) from Regions Field.
The Barons got it going in the second inning, with an RBI single from Luis Basabe to score Joel Booker from second. One batter later, Blake Rutherford continued his torrid pace with a ripper two-run double to score Luis Gonzalez and Basabe and make it 3-0.
It's been a fantastic end of the season for both Basabe and Rutherford. So far in the series, Basabe has seven hits and four RBI. Rutherford, after batting .318 with a .410 on-base percentage in August, is 6-for-13 in the Shuckers series.
Birmingham starter Tanner Banks was masterful, winning his fourth consecutive outing and his fifth overall in 6.1 scoreless innings. He also didn't walk a batter, as Banks came into the day second in the Southern League with a 4.3 walk percentage.
The bullpen was lockdown after Banks' departure. Bennett Sousa and Danny Dopico combined for 2.2 scoreless innings and allowed just one hit. Sousa earned his first hold of the season and Dopico picked up save No. 6.
The win was the Barons 10th shutout of the season. They also won the series with the win, regardless of Monday's outcome. The Barons lost the series 3-2 in April when these two teams met the first time.
Birmingham will wrap up their regular season Monday, hosting Biloxi starting at 11:30 a.m. CT.
WJOX-AM 690 will be the home of the Barons on Monday. Fans can tune into the Coca-Cola Pregame Show starting at 6:15 p.m. CT.
The Birmingham Barons are the proud Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The Barons will open the home portion of their 2019 season, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of Michael Jordan's lone year in baseball, against the Tennessee Smokies at 7:05 p.m. April 10 at Regions Field. For ticket information, game schedule, promotions calendar or additional information about Regions Field, please visit barons.com or call (205) 988-3200.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 1, 2019
- Focused Biscuits Batter Blue Wahoos - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Kingham Tosses Complete Game in Sunday's Win - Mississippi Braves
- Braves Pitching Too Strong for Lookouts - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Biscuits Edge Wahoos, 11-7 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Banks and Bullpen Blank Shuckers on Sunday - Biloxi Shuckers
- Barons Win Final Home Series in Dominant Afternoon - Birmingham Barons
- Early Deficit Buries Smokies in 8-4 Defeat - Tennessee Smokies
- BayBears Pile on Early Runs to Top Smokies - Mobile BayBears
- Shuckers Play a Dozen in Walk-Off Defeat to Birmingham - Biloxi Shuckers
- Generals Win Regular Season Finale, 2-1, on Walk-Off Double-Play - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Birmingham Barons Stories
- Robert Joins List of Former Barons to Win Rawlings Gold Glove Award
- Barons Pace Southern League in Attendance as 2019 Season Concludes
- Barons Win Final Home Series in Dominant Afternoon
- Sheets' Sac Fly Sends Barons Past Shuckers in Extras
- Stellar Pitching Aids Barons Swift Comeback