Barons Use Huge 8th to Secure First Home Win of Season
BILOXI, MS - The Birmingham Barons (3-4) got their first home win of 2019 by defeating the Tennessee Smokies (4-2) 5-1 Friday night at Regions Field in front of 8,244 fans.
Birmingham third baseman Ti'Quan Forbes broke a 1-1 tie in the bottom of the eighth with a triple to center field to clear the bases and take a 4-1 lead.
For Forbes, it was his first extra-base hit and three RBI of the season and it couldn't have come at a more prefect time. Coming into the inning, the Barons had been shut out and held to three total hits. In the eighth alone, they erupted for five hits and five runs.
The first Barons run came off the bat of left fielder Joel Booker, plating pinch-runner Laz Rivera on a single to tie it at one.
Later in the inning, first baseman Gavin Sheets hit a hot shot to first and Smokies Jared Young made a nice play to make the out. It resulted in Sheets' first RBI of the season, plated Forbes and pushed the lead to 5-1.
Barons right-handed starter Jimmy Lambert looked in midseason form, going six masterful innings and striking out eight.
Lambert got out of an early jam in the second inning with runners on second and third with one out. Lambert was able to induce a 5-3 double play, with Forbes fielding a grounder to third, stepping on the bag and throwing to first for the third out.
In relief of Lambert came left-hander Hunter Schryver, pitching 1.2 innings scoreless. Hard thrower Mauricio Cabrera earned the win with the final 1.1 innings.
The Smokies lone run came from Young in the sixth, a solo homer to left field to take a 1-0 in the early pitchers duel.
Smokies right-handed starter Thomas Hatch, the Chicago Cubs No. 17 prospect, was dealing early on. He didn't allow a hit in his five innings of work, striking out four and walking one Baron.
The Barons got their first hit in the sixth inning. With Smokies left-hander Manuel Rondon in, Joel Booker hit a dribbler into the grass in front. As he was getting to first, Smokies catcher Jhonny Peralta's throw to first sailed over the head of Young and the error allowed Booker to get to second.
The Barons and Smokies will be back at it at 7:05 p.m. on Friday from Regions Field. Left-hander Bernardo Flores (0-0, 0.00 ERA in 2018) will get the start for Birmingham.
WJOX-FM 100.5 will be the home of the Barons on Friday. Fans can tune into the Coca-Cola Pregame Show on WJOX at 6:50 p.m.
The Barons first fireworks show of the season after the conclusion of Friday's game. Friday night fireworks are presented by Coca-Cola, Alabama Power, Comfort Care Hospice, and Cajun Boys.
The Birmingham Barons are the proud Double-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. The Barons will open the home portion of their 2019 season, which celebrates the 25th anniversary of Michael Jordan's lone year in baseball, against the Tennessee Smokies at 7:05 p.m. April 10 at Regions Field. For ticket information, game schedule, promotions calendar or additional information about Regions Field, please visit barons.com or call (205) 988-3200.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Big Bang Gets Jackson - Chattanooga Lookouts
- Total Team Effort: Smokies Slow-Burn Barons, 7-1 - Tennessee Smokies
- Isabel's Grand Slam Sinks Generals - Jackson Generals
- Smokies Down Barons Behind Big Inning - Birmingham Barons
- Smeltzer Brilliant in Wahoos Shutout Win - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Biscuits Pitchers Keep Shuckers Bats Quiet in 7-1 Defeat - Biloxi Shuckers
- Biscuits Push Past Shuckers, 7-1 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Shrimp Blanked by Wahoos 2-0 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- M-Braves and BayBears Postponed by Rain Friday - Mississippi Braves
- Egga-Wahooza to be Held Saturday, April 20 - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- 2019 All-Star Event Tickets on Sale April 17 - Biloxi Shuckers
- Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp: Game Notes, April 12 at Pensacola - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Jumbo Shrimp Homestand Highlights April 15-19 - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Farm to Table Dinner Coming to Blue Wahoos Stadium - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Barons Use Huge 8th to Secure First Home Win of Season - Birmingham Barons
- Mobile's Six-Run Fifth Inning Dooms Braves on Thursday - Mississippi Braves
- Second Six-Run Inning of Season Lifts BayBears over Braves - Mobile BayBears
- Five-Run Eighth Allows Barons to Even Series with Smokies - Tennessee Smokies
- Graterol, Kerrigan Lead Blue Wahoos Past Jumbo Shrimp - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.