Baird Back to Columbus
Columbus, GA - The Catfish have received pitcher John Baird from Hudson Valley. To make room for Baird, Travis Barnett was placed on the 7-day disabled list.
Baird, a 22 year old right hander, began the season with Columbus. He appeared in 8 games, posting a 1-1 record with an 8.40 ERA. At Hudson Valley, Baird began to turn it around, going 1-3 with a 5.48 ERA in 11 games, 3 of them starts. More impressive were his strikeouts numbers at Hudson Valley, where he struck out 24 in 21 and 1/3 innings.
The Catfish begin a 4-game series with the Southern Division leading Augusta GreenJackets before leaving for Asheville for a 4-game set beginning Saturday.
The Catfish are the Class-A affiliate of the Tampa Bay Rays.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 29, 2008
- BlueClaws go down 6-5 in 12 innings to the Power - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Power pull out extra innings victory - West Virginia Power
- Greenville Drives Past Rome - Rome Braves
- Jackets Drop Series Opener to Columbus - Augusta GreenJackets
- Crawdads see wining streak snapped - Hickory Crawdads
- Intimidators Drop Series Opener In Delmarva 7-1 - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Longball Responsible for All Seven Run in Hoppers' 6-1 Victory - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Suns falter in series opener - Hagerstown Suns
- Capra Takes Over As Intimidators Manager - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Legg Promoted to Major Leagues - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Baird Back to Columbus - Columbus Catfish
- Tourists To Face Two More Rehabbers Tonight - Asheville Tourists
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.