Austin FC Joins Forces with Austin Public Health to Promote COVID-19 Vaccinations
Austin, TEXAS - Austin FC announced today that the Club has joined forces with Austin Public Health (APH) to support APH's campaigns for the month of May -- "Life's Possibilities with Vaccine Protection" and "Win back your normal with a vaccine" -- to encourage Austinites to receive their COVID-19 vaccine. In support of APH's efforts to propel vaccinations, Austin FC first team players will be featured in a "Take the Shot, ATX" campaign, promoting videos calling on Austinites to get vaccinated. The videos will be released on May 6.
Austin FC's first team roster, Coaching and Soccer Operations staff received their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine shot in April at St. David's Performance Center. In addition to fostering COVID-19 vaccine awareness, the Austin FC/APH partnership will promote messaging on the 3W's -- Wear a mask, Wash hands, Watch your distance.
"We are pleased to partner with Austin Public Health to amplify the important message of getting vaccinated," commented Andy Loughnane, Austin FC President. "Austin FC players and coaching staff stand united in this important community initiative."
"Our Soccer Operations team and first team roster acknowledges the importance of being vaccinated and feel privileged to have had the opportunity to get vaccinated," commented Josh Wolff, Austin FC Head Coach. "It's now time to do our part to amplify such an important message to our community and encourage Austinites to get vaccinated."
"We are honored to be able to play a role in sharing this message to our community," commented Alex Ring, Austin FC Club Captain. "As players that represent Austin, we have a duty to this city, and we are pleased to encourage Austinites to take advantage of the resources made available by Austin Public Health."
"We hope the additional messaging and education can expand outreach to demographics who may have not considered getting the shot," said Dr. Mark Escott, Interim Health Authority for Austin-Travis County. "We are at the point of vaccine availability in our community that those who want the vaccine have access, and it is time to encourage those who are on the fence."
Although anyone over the age of 16 is eligible to receive a vaccine in the State of Texas, Austin Public Health is currently providing the Moderna vaccine, which is only approved for individuals 18 years or older. Anyone who falls into the 1A, 1B, 1C and childcare/educator category is still eligible to receive a shot from APH.
APH is one (1) of two (2) local vaccine hubs, and it has expanded appointment scheduling to be open all week between 7:00am and 7:00pm CDT, except for Fridays. APH has also begun accepting walk-ups without appointment for first doses. While pre-registration at covid19.austintexas.gov is not mandatory before arriving, it is highly recommended to speed up the process on-site.
Starting the week on May 11 and until the end of May, free COVID-19 vaccines are available to anyone with or without an appointment between 3:00pm-8:00pm CDT (Tue.-Fri.) and 10:00am-3:00pm CDT (Sat.) at the Delco Activity Center (4601 Pecan Brook Drive, Austin, TX - 78724). The Southeast Branch Library is also offering COVID-19 vaccines without an appointment, Tuesday-Friday between 2:00pm-8:00pm CDT.
Additionally, select local pharmacies will receive direct allocations from the federal government, and other local providers will receive smaller allocations each week. A list of local providers can be found at centraltxvaccs.org and vaccinefinder.org.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 5, 2021
- Know Your Opponent: Rapids Prepare for 2020 Playoff Rematch against MNUFC - Colorado Rapids
- LAFC Loans Eight Players to Las Vegas Lights FC for Upcoming Match against La Galaxy II - Los Angeles FC
- Las Vegas Lights FC Sign Four LAFC Academy Players to Academy Contracts - Los Angeles FC
- Goalkeepers Now Making Their Mark Among MLS Youngest: Week 4 News & Notes - MLS
- New England Revolution Youth Development Highlights: May 5, 2021 - New England Revolution
- FC Dallas Announces Partnership with UMB Bank - FC Dallas
- By the Numbers: We Meet Again - Orlando City SC
- Austin FC Joins Forces with Austin Public Health to Promote COVID-19 Vaccinations - Austin FC
- Know Your Opponent: New York City FC - Orlando City SC
- Rio Tinto Stadium to Host U.S. Men's National Team on June 9 - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Faces CF Monterrey Tonight in Mexico - Columbus Crew SC
- Cruz Azul (1) - Toronto FC (0) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin FC Stories
- Austin FC to Host Friendly Match vs. Club Tigres UANL on Tuesday, July 13
- Austin FC Earns Point with 1-1 Draw against Sporting Kansas City
- Austin FC Draw away at Seattle Sounders FC
- Austin FC Announces Parking and Mobility Plan for Q2 Stadium
- Austin FC Regular Season Home Match against the Portland Timbers Rescheduled from Saturday, July 3, to Thursday, July 1