Atlantic Trip Ends in Shootout Loss
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ -- In the first of four Albany Devils games at Atlantic City's Boardwalk Hall, the Devils and the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins gave the fans 65 minutes of action followed by a five-round shootout. In the end, Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's Jayson Megna scored the lone shootout goal, giving his team a 5-4 victory Sunday afternoon.
Mattias Tedenby, Bobby Butler, Adam Henrique and Jacob Josefson each had goals. Butler, who also had an assist, led all Devils scorers with two points. In goal, Keith Kinkaid made 31 saves in his second start this weekend and his ninth start of the season.
The Penguins received two goals from Tom Kuhnhackl and tallies from Brian Gibbons and Trevor Smith. Both Kuhnhackl and Gibbons added assists to their stat line. Goaltender Brad Thiessen turned aside 28 shots.
Tedenby opened the scoring after Alexander Urbom pinched in the offensive zone to keep the Devils on the attack. The puck found its way to Scott Parse, who was playing in his first game since Nov. 10. He made a pass across the slot to find Tedenby at the left circle at 9:32 of the first.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton answered with back-to-back goals. Kuhnhackl scored at 12:53 and Gibbons found the back of the net at 15:35.
Moments later Butler fired a wrist shot past Thiessen at 16:45 while on the power play. The assists went to Joe Whitney and Adam Larsson.
Before the end of the period and on a delayed penalty call, Smith snuck a shot behind Kinkaid as time expired.
In the second, Henrique made the score 3-3 with his fifth goal of the season. Butler fed to Matthew Corrente at the point. His shot was blocked, but ended up on Henrique's stick for a quick wrister from the right circle at 13:16.
The teams exchanged third period goals. Josefson gave the Devils a 4-3 advantage at 10:22 after freeing the puck near Albany's bench. After winning the foot race to the puck, he went top shelf for his team-leading seventh goal of the year.
The Penguins answered less than two minutes later when Kuhnhackl snapshot in the slot beat the Devils netminder at 12:06.
After a scoreless overtime, Megna scored in the fifth and final round of the shootout.
Albany's power play finished 1-for-2, while Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's man-up squad when 0-for-7.
The Devils return to Times Union Center Friday for a 7 pm contest against the St. John's IceCaps.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 25, 2012
- Heat Dropped by Aeros 3-2 in Overtime - Abbotsford Heat
- Admirals Finish Roadtrip with Win over Grand Rapids - Milwaukee Admirals
- Hershey Downs Toronto 4-2 - Toronto Marlies
- Houston Aeros Beat the Heat 3-2 in OT - Houston Aeros
- Rampage Clipped by Texas Stars, 5-3 - San Antonio Rampage
- Milwaukee Stops Griffins' Streak at Eight - Grand Rapids Griffins
- IceCaps Thump Bruins - St. John's IceCaps
- Bears Score Four on Marlies in Sunday Victory - Hershey Bears
- Brown Hat Trick Boosts Syracuse over Worcester, 6-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Stars Corral Rampage 5-3 - Texas Stars
- Monsters Mash Bulldogs 4-1 - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Atlantic Trip Ends in Shootout Loss - Albany Devils
- Pirates Loot 'W' from Monarchs - Manchester Monarchs
- P-Bruins Fall to IceCaps - Providence Bruins
- Lake Erie Snaps Losing Streak with 4-1 Win in Hamilton - Cleveland Monsters
- Bourque's Late Goal Lifts Whale Past Falcons - Springfield Falcons
- Checkers Routed by Barons - Charlotte Checkers
- Kearns Scores Lone Goal in 6-1 Loss to Crunch - Worcester Sharks
- Bourque Lifts Whale in Closing Seconds - Connecticut Whale
- Bears Sign Evan Barlow to Tryout Agreement - Hershey Bears
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield vs. Connecticut, Game #17 - Springfield Falcons
- Brust Sets Record as Heat Beat Rampage in Shootout - Abbotsford Heat
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.