Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto Win eMLS Tournament Special
ATLANTA - The Atlanta United duo of Franco Escobar and Paulo won the eMLS Tournament Special presented by Coca-Cola® and PlayStation®, defeating Sporting Kansas City 7-3 in the final. As part of MLS Unites, a league-wide platform designed to educate communities, entertain fans and elevate heroic efforts taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic, the five-episode series began with 16 MLS clubs competing in EA SPORTS FIFA 20 competition. It started on Sunday, April 19th and aired every Sunday until Championship Sunday on May 17th.
Four clubs competed each episode with the winning club from each of the first four weeks advancing to tonight's Champions Bracket. Each club was represented by both an MLS player and eMLS professional FIFA player. Franco Escobar (MLS) and Paulo Neto (eMLS) were the competitors that represented Atlanta United.
The opening leg of the first matchup on Championship Sunday saw LAFC striker Adama Diomande take on Sporting Kansas City midfielder Wan Kuzain. While Kuzain notched the first tally of the night with his teammate Alan Pulido, Diomande secured two second half goals curtesy of his teammate Carlos Vela and the digital version of himself to earn the 2-1 victory.
Sporting Kansas City eMLS FIFA Pro, ALEKZANDUR was able to reverse the damage from leg one tallying two goals with Sporting Kansas City forward and Mexican international Pulido to advance to the eMLS Tournament Special Finals.
The second match of the night saw NYCFC goalkeeper Sean Johnson face Atlanta United defender, Franco Escobar. Despite a valiant effort from Johnson on and off the field, Escobar was able to score two goals with his teammate Josef Martinez to give Atlanta United the two-goal advantage heading into the second leg.
NYCFC eMLS Pro Didychrislito was able to grab one back halfway through the first half of the second leg, but Atlanta United eMLS FIFA Pro Paulo Neto secured Atlanta United's spot in the final with another finish from J. Martinez.
In the championship match of eMLS Tournament Special, Sporting Kansas City played Atlanta United. Escobar was able to score two first half goals, one with J. Martinez and the other with Ezequiel Barco. But, Sporting Kansas City midfielder Kuzain used his teammate Gerso to notch a brace that saw both teams' level at 2-2 heading into leg two of the championship match.
ALEKZANDUR opened the scoring to regain the lead for Sporting KC in the 11th minute of play but then Neto tallied five unanswered goals to win 7-3 and earn the title for Atlanta United.
As a result of Atlanta United's victory tonight, a donation will be made by MLS WORKS and FOX Sports to Feeding America on behalf of Atlanta United, with MLS WORKS also contributing to Food Banks Canada.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 17, 2020
- Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Paulo Neto Win eMLS Tournament Special - Atlanta United FC
- Atlanta United Add Fourth Title in Club History Tonight in eMLS Tournament Special - MLS
- Sounders FC Receives Approval to Begin Voluntary Individual Workouts on Monday, May 18 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Kuzain, Alekzandur Finish Second in eMLS Tournament Special - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Drops MLS Is Back Tournament Opener to New York Red Bulls
- Atlanta United Announces Additional Kit Sponsors for MLS Is Back Tournament, 2020 Season
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New York Red Bulls
- Supporters Send-Off Atlanta United as It Departs for MLS Is Back Tournament in Orlando
- Atlanta United Signs Tyler Wolff as Homegrown Player