Atlanta United Falls to Seattle Sounders 2-1
SEATTLE, Wash. - Atlanta United fell to Seattle Sounders FC 2-1 on Sunday afternoon at CenturyLink Field. Josef Martinez scored his 13th goal of the season to extend his scoring streak to five consecutive league matches, but Harry Shipp's 71st minute goal proved to be the game-winner.
After a scoreless first half, Atlanta appeared to take the lead in the 50th minute when Pity Martinez snuck a ball past Stefan Frei to the far post. However, he was called offside as the play unfolded. Seattle then took the lead in the 58th minute from Raul Ruidiaz. After taking a pass from Cristian Roldan, Ruidiaz dribbled by a defender and then volleyed a ball over Miles Robinson and onto his right foot before beating Brad Guzan to the left corner.
But Atlanta quickly answered as Josef Martinez powerfully headed home an equalizer seven minutes later. Off a corner kick from Pity Martinez, Josef came to the near post unmarked and headed it off the crossbar and in.
Seattle took the lead six minutes later as Shipp capped off a counterattack. After a giveaway in Atlanta's own half, Nicolas Lodeiro played Jordan Morris through along the right flank. Morris then crossed across goal for Shipp, who headed the ball into the right corner.
Atlanta United (9-8-3, 30 points) returns to action when it hosts Houston Dynamo at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Wednesday, July 17. (7:30 p.m., FOX Sports South, Sports Radio 92-9 The Game).
Seattle Sounders 2, Atlanta United 1
Shots: 18-12 Seattle
Shots on Target: 6-2 Seattle
Corner kicks: 6-5 Seattle
Fouls committed: 8-8
Clearances: 25-16 Seattle
Offside: 4-0 Atlanta
Possession: 57-43 Seattle
Passing Accuracy: 81-72 Seattle
SEA - Raul Ruidiaz (Cristian Roldan) 58' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Josef Martinez (Pity Martinez) 65' [HIGHLIGHT]
SEA - Harry Shipp (Jordan Morris, Nicolas Lodeiro) 71' [HIGHLIGHT]
ATL - Miles Robinson (yellow) 22'
ATL - Michael Parkhurst (yellow) 41'
ATL - Franco Escobar (yellow) 82'
ATLANTA UNITED STARTING LINEUP
Brad Guzan ©; Brek Shea (Michael Parkhurst - 7', Brandon Vazquez - 78'), Leandro Gonzalez Pirez, Miles Robinson, Franco Escobar; Darlington Nagbe, Eric Remedi (Emerson Hyndman - 67'), Julian Gressel; Justin Meram, Josef Martinez, Pity MartÃ-nez.
Substitutes not used: Brendan Moore, Mikey Ambrose, Dion Pereira, Gordon Wild,
SEATTLE SOUNDERS STARTING LINEUP
Stefan Frei; Brad Smith, Kim Kee-hee, Roman Torres, Kelvin Leerdam (Saad Abdul-Salaam - 73'); Cristian Roldan, Gustav Svensson; Harry Shipp (Nouhou Tolo - 77'), Nicolas Lodeiro ©, Jordan Morris (Jordy Delem - 87'); Raul Ruidiaz.
Substitutes not used: Bryan Meredith, Xavier Arreaga, Justin Dhillon, Danny Leyva.
Robert Sibiga (referee), Nick Uranga (assistant), Eduardo Mariscal (assistant), Joe Dickerson (fourth), Ricardo Salazar (VAR).
Brek Shea was subbed off in the seventh minute after suffering a right knee injury from a tackle in the fifth minute.
Josef Martinez scored his 13th goal of the season. He now has eight goals in his last five MLS matches and nine goals in his last six matches in all competitions.
Martinez has also scored in five consecutive MLS matches and six consecutive matches in all competitions.
Pity Martinez picked up his 5th assist of the season.
Brad Guzan tied a season-high with four saves.
Franco Escobar picked up his eighth caution of the year and will miss the next MLS match against Houston on Wednesday.
The Sounders are now 8-0-2 at home this season.
Goalkeeper Alec Kann didn't travel because of flu-like symptoms.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 14, 2019
- Red Bulls Complete Comeback, Defeat NYCFC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 14, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Returns to CenturyLink Field with 2-1 Win over Defending MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Falls to Seattle Sounders 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Ten-Man Timbers Earn 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Earns Second Straight Shutout Win - Sporting Kansas City
- 'Caps suffer 3-0 loss to Sporting KC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to FC Cincinnati - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Dismantles Philadelphia Union 4-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference despite loss - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United Advances to Eastern Conference Semifinals, Defeats New England Revolution 1-0
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. New England Revolution
- George Bello Named to USA Roster for 2019 FIFA U-17 World Cup in Brazil
- Atlanta United Reaches Contract Extension with Miles Robinson
- Time Change: Round 1 Match vs. New England Now 1 p.m.