Real Salt Lake Dismantles Philadelphia Union 4-0
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (9-9-2, 29 points, 6 West) dismantled the Eastern Conference-leading Philadelphia Union 4-0 on Saturday night, marking the second consecutive home match where RSL did not concede a goal.
FW Jefferson Savarino netted his third career brace while MF Albert Rusnák and MF Damir Kreilach put away a goal each to secure the three points while GK Nick Rimando notched his fifth shutout of the season.
Postgame Quotes from RSL v PHI.
From the outset, RSL sought the early lead in the match and found its goal in the 23rd minute when Savarino fielded a wonderful ball from DF Aaron Herrera in the attacking third before volleying home the opening goal inside the box. A physical first half of play saw four yellow cards given, three of which were given to RSL as the teams entered the locker room with the Utah side leading 1-0.
Early in the second half, RSL saw two chances to score go begging as a header from DF Justen Glad was saved well by Union goalkeeper Andre Blake on the line before Kreilach hit the cross bar with a header of his own in the 56th minute. RSL found its second goal in the 72nd minute when Savarino earned the brace after firing a rocket into the far post to generate the separation late in the match.
Philadelphia nearly pulled one back in the 78th minute after Union forward Andrew Wooten volleyed a shot into the back of the net but after a video review, the goal was disallowed for having gone out of play before the volley. RSL tallied its third when Savarino won the ball back with a clever back-heel to Rusnák, who took one touch to smash in past Blake. Kreilach notched the fourth goal of the night after slipping through the gaps in the Union defense to meet MF Everton Luiz's pass and putting away the final goal.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will remain at home to face Minnesota United in a crucial Western Conference clash on Saturday, July 20 at 8:00p MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Jefferson Savarino (Aaron Herrera), 23rd minute: A quick lofted ball into the run of Savarino from Herrera was met wonderfully by the first touch of Savarino who set up a shot inside the area. His left-footed volley was hit solidly through Blake in the Union net to take the lead.
RSL: Jefferson Savarino (Kyle Beckerman), 72nd minute: As heavy pressure mounted at the top of the Union penalty area, Beckerman played a soft ball to the feet of Savarino, who took his chance to beautifully rocket a shot inside the far post to provide RSL with an insurance goal.
RSL: Albert Rusnák (Jefferson Savarino), 81st minute: Damir Kreilach started the counter attack down the right side of the pitch, but his pass to the middle meant for Savarino was cut out by a Philadelphia Union defender. Savarino was quick to recover claiming the ball with a back heel where Rusnák took one touch to rifle away the third of the night.
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Everton Luiz), 89th minute: Everton Luiz taking a run straight down the middle of the park. Near the penalty area, Luiz sent a heavy pass through a gap in the Union defense where Kreilach slipped in and put away the fourth. After a video review for a potential offside, the goal was allowed to stand, and RSL led by four.
- DF Tony Beltran (knee), DF Nedum Onuoha (adductor), DF Donny Toia (hamstring) and FW Sam Johnson (quad) were out of action due to injury.
- Prior to the match, GK Nick Rimando was honored for his 500th career MLS appearance, which came last Saturday on the road against the San Jose Earthquakes. Rimando was presented with a jersey with the number 500 printed on the back to commemorate the milestone.
- FW Jefferson Savarino scored his third career MLS brace. The previous two came on Aug. 25, 2018 in a 6-0 road win over the Colorado Rapids and on July 4, 2017 in a 6-2 home win over the LA Galaxy.
- The win over Philadelphia marked the second straight home game without allowing a shot on goal and fourth shutout in the last five home matches.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Philadelphia Union
Date: July 13, 2019
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Partly cloudy and 89 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 FT
Real Salt Lake: 1 3 4
Philadelphia: 0 0 0
RSL: Jefferson Savarino (Aaron Herrera) 23'
RSL: Jefferson Savarino (Kyle Beckerman) 72'
RSL: Albert Rusnák (Jefferson Savarino) 81'
RSL: Damir Kreilach (Everton Luiz) 89'
Real Salt Lake: (4-2-3-1) Nick Rimando; Brooks Lennon, Marcelo Silva, Justen Glad, Aaron Herrera; Everton Luiz, Kyle Beckerman (Nick Besler, 83'); Jefferson Savarino (Joao Plata 85'), Albert Rusnák, Sebastian Saucedo (Corey Baird, 71'); Damir Kreilach
Subs not used: David Ochoa, Erik Holt, Justin Portillo, Tate Schmitt
Philadelphia Union: (4-3-3) Andrew Blake; Raymon Gaddis, Jack Elliott, Auston Trusty, Fabinho; Marco Fabian (Anthony Fontana, 65'), Brenden Aaronson (Sergio Santos, HT), Alejandro Bedoya; Haris Medunjanin, Fabrice-Jean Picault (Andrew Wooten 72'), Kacper Przybylko
Subs not used: Matt Fresse, Aurelien Collin, Robert James Allen
Stats Summary: RSL / PHI
Shots on Goal: 8/0
Corner Kicks: 7/9
RSL: Sebastian Saucedo (caution) 17'
RSL: Damir Kreilach (caution) 24'
RSL: Kyle Beckerman (caution) 28'
PHI: Brenden Aaronson (caution) 35'
RSL: Aaron Herrera (caution) 61'
Referee: Silviu Petrescu
Assistant Referees: Oscar Mitchell-Carvalho, Claudiu Badea
4th Official: Michael Radchuk
VAR: Allen Chapman
AVAR: Jeff Muschik
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 14, 2019
- Red Bulls Complete Comeback, Defeat NYCFC, 2-1 - New York Red Bulls
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: July 14, 2019 - FC Cincinnati
- Sounders FC Returns to CenturyLink Field with 2-1 Win over Defending MLS Cup Champion Atlanta United - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Falls to Seattle Sounders 2-1 - Atlanta United FC
- Ten-Man Timbers Earn 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Earns Second Straight Shutout Win - Sporting Kansas City
- 'Caps suffer 3-0 loss to Sporting KC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Soccer Club Falls 2-1 to FC Cincinnati - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Dismantles Philadelphia Union 4-0 - Real Salt Lake
- Union remain in first place in MLS' Eastern Conference despite loss - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Ousts Portland Timbers 2-1 to Advance in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Real Salt Lake Announces 2019 Club Awards
- Real Salt Lake Opens 2019 Audi MLS Cup Playoffs Saturday against Portland Timbers
- This Week at RSL
- Real Salt Lake Hosts Portland Timbers in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs