Athletic Suffer Setback as Charleston Take Three Points at Patriot's Point
It was a tough night for Athletic, as they conceded three goals for only the second time this season against Charleston Battery at Patriot's Point on Saturday night. The hosts were deserved winners, as goals from Romario Piggott, Claudio Repetto, and Nicque Daley sealed the three points for the hosts.
Initially, Athletic did not look like a side who would have conceded three goals in the match. They enjoyed good spells of possession to start the match, and were dominant with the ball within the opening twenty minutes. However, the hosts were rigid in defense, and by the 21st minute, they took the lead through a beautiful, curling effort, courtesy of Piggott. Perhaps Athletic's most clear-cut chance of the game was when Conor McGlynn slipped a wonderful through ball to Preston Tabort Etaka, whose right-footed strike rattled the post and went out for a goal kick.
Athletic entered the second half trailing by only one goal, looking to find the equalizer. Within 18 minutes of the restart, however, the hosts doubled their lead as Repetto curled a lovely effort past the outstretched arms of Jeff Caldwell. Harry Watling made a number of substitutions to impact the balance of play, and the changes made a difference. In the 81st minute, the ball was worked to Danny Barrera from a corner, who delivered a ball to Tulu at the back post. His low, diving header found the back of the net, and made the last 10 minutes an exciting contest.
As Hartford continued to push for an equalizing goal to yet again take points from losing positions, the visitors struck on the counter, as Nicque Daley sent an effort on the counter attack past Caldwell, and sealed a deserved three points for the South Carolina-based side.
Your Boys in Green are back at Dillon Stadium twice this week. Tuesday, Athletic welcome USL League Two side Western Mass Pioneers to town for a friendly match and Saturday, Miami FC visits Hartford in a rematch of a brilliant 1-0 Hartford victory in the second match of the season. For tickets, visit hartfordathletic.com/single.
Shots (On-Target): Hartford Athletic 12 (2) - 19 (8) Charleston
Corners: Hartford Athletic 5-6 Charleston
Fouls: Hartford Athletic 11-6 Charleston
Offsides: Hartford Athletic 0-1 Charleston
Possession: Hartford Athletic 58.1%-41.9% Charleston
Passing Accuracy: Hartford Athletic 88.6%-84.8% Charleston
Saves: Hartford Athletic 5-1 Charleston
21' - Romario Piggott (Stavros Zarokostas) 0-1
58' - Claudio Repetto (Zeiko Lewis) 0-2
83' - Tulu 1-2
90+4' - Nicque Daley 1-3
20' - Stavros Zarokostas (Yellow)
90+2' - Logan Gdula (Yellow)
HARTFORD ATHLETIC STARTING LINEUP:
13 (GK) Jeff Caldwell; 3 (DF) Younes Boudadi, 15 (DF) Tulu, 20 (DF) Thomas Janjigian, 6 (DF) Arthur Rogers (Richie Schlentz, 60'); 8 (MF) Christian Gómez, 10 (MF) Danny Barrera, 28 (MF) Conor McGlynn (Nii Armah Ashitey, 79'); 14 (FW) Derek Dodson, 9 (FW) Sebastian Elney (Jeciel Cedeño, 60'), 23 (FW) Preston Tabort Etaka (Alex Lara, 90+2')
CHARLESTON BATTERY STARTING LINEUP:
1 (GK) Joe Kuzminsky; 17 (DF) Logan Gdula, 5 (DF) Leland Archer, 3 (DF) Patrick Hogan, 2 (DF) Benjamin Di Rosa; 18 (MF) Claudio Repetto (Joel Bunting, 79'), 21 (MF) Angelo Kelly-Rosales, 10 (MF) Zeiko Lewis, 8 (MF) Romario Piggott (Temiloluwa Adesodun, 63'), 11 (MF) Nicque Daley; 9 (FW) Stavros Zarokostas (Dionysius Harmon, 79')
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from July 17, 2021
- Late OKC Energy FC Scores Downs FC Tulsa 2-1 - FC Tulsa
- Forward Nick Moon Continues Solid Run of Form with Second Goal of Campaign - Indy Eleven
- Early Cicerone Goal Makes the Difference in 1-0 Win over Loudoun - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- McLaughlin Opens LouCity Account with a Bang in Win over Atlanta - Louisville City FC
- Greens Take the Black Gold Derby with Stoppage Time Stunner - OKC Energy FC
- Miami Closes Gap on Rowdies with Victory - Miami FC
- Battery Score Three in Big Win over Hartford - Charleston Battery
- Atlanta United 2 Suffers 2-0 Loss at Louisville City FC - Atlanta United 2
- Toros Earn Big Road Win over Orange County - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Athletic Suffer Setback as Charleston Take Three Points at Patriot's Point - Hartford Athletic
- Rowdies Rally But Come up Short in Miami - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Memphis Extend Unbeaten Streak to Three in Draw with Indy - Memphis 901 FC
- Loudoun United FC Lose 1-0 against the Pittsburgh Riverhounds on the Road - Loudoun United FC
- Academy League Side Notches First Win vs. Kings Hammer, 2-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Switchbacks FC Fall in Five Goal Game - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Real Monarchs Travel to Austin Bold FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Earns First Road Win of the Season, Defeating Switchbacks 3-2 - San Antonio FC
- Possession Team Or Counter-Attack: How Are the Hounds Best? - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Charlotte Independence Acquire Adam Armour on Loan from Charlotte FC - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Athletic Stories
- Obregón Jr. Pushes Hartford to 2-0 Victory over Real Monarchs
- September 18 Postponed, Home Match on October 15 Moved to October 16
- Athletic Return Home for Must-Win Match against Real Monarchs
- Hartford Athletic + Stanley Black & Decker to Host Third Annual Match for a Cause Benefitting the Legacy Foundation of Hartford
- Road Woes Continue in Loss to Charlotte