Arjona and Boomers Blank Joliet
SCHAUMBURG, IL - Kyle Arjona shut down the Joliet Slammers, throwing the first complete game shutout of the year in the league as the Schaumburg Boomers opened a three-game mid-week series with an 8-0 win.
Arjona, the opening night starter for the Boomers, allowed only three hits and five total baserunners in the contest. Joliet did not record a hit until the fifth inning against the right-hander. Angelo Gumbs gave Arjona all the support he would need with a monster homer leading off the fourth inning. Schaumburg would stretch the lead to 3-0 when Matt Bottcher, signed before the game, recorded a two-run single in his pro debut. Alec Craig singled home a run in the seventh before the Boomers put the game out of reach with four runs in the eighth. Luke Becker, Chase Dawson and Gumbs drove home runs while another scored on a wild pitch.
Arjona did not reach 100 pitches in the shutout, which came in just his fourth career start. The Florida native walked one and struck out four while trusting his defense with two double plays and 13 groundball outs. Bottcher reached base in all four of his plate appearances, totaling two hits. Becker and Brett Milazzo also added two hits.
The Boomers (6-6) continue the series on Wednesday night at 6:30 p.m. LHP Andrew Dean (1-1, 4.09) starts for the Boomers against LHP Tyler Jandron (0-0, 2.46) on an All You Can East Wednesday. All-you-can-eat hot dogs, peanuts and popcorn are available for $10. take Monday off before welcoming the Joliet Slammers on Tuesday night at 6:30 p.m. Visit boomersbaseball.com for tickets and information or call 847-461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 8, 2021
- Three Home Runs Lift Otters to 11-7 Win against Y'alls - Evansville Otters
- Bad Start Sends ThunderBolts to Loss - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Miners Pitch their Way to Win at Windy City - Southern Illinois Miners
- Y'alls Fall to Otters in Battle for Best in West - Florence Y'alls
- Arjona and Boomers Blank Joliet - Schaumburg Boomers
- Wild Things Fall in Opener to Jackals - Washington Wild Things
- Tri-City ValleyCats Rained out against Boulders - Tri-City ValleyCats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.