Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Wednesday, January 9, 2019
The Hotshots practiced in full pads on Wednesday, signally the first time they've donned pads as a team. While there was no hitting to the ground, players were certainly more spirited with their pads rattling.
After a hot and humid first couple of days of camp, San Antonio received a cold front that dropped temperatures into the 60's on Wednesday.
Five of the six new Hotshots practiced for the first time today after being added to the roster last night. RB Justin Stockon (Texas Tech), CB Darius Hillary (Wisconsin), DB Dexter McDougle (Maryland), LB Kaelin Burnett (Nevada-Reno), and OT Andrew Lauderdale (New Hampshire) all took their first snaps as Hotshots. While DT Chunky Clements (Illinois) was the lone absentee as he travels into San Antonio.
Coach Neuheisel can be heard on 1580 The Fanatic tomorrow Morning at 8:15 a.m. with Monty in the Morning.
74 of the 75 players practiced in full today, with WR Josh Huff and LB Scooby Wright both returning after illnesses. DT Chunky Clements did not practice while he makes his way to San Antonio.
A member of The Alliance of American Football, The Arizona Hotshots are led by an experienced professional coaching staff and front office. The Hotshots feature Arizona native Rick Neuheisel as head coach and long-time NFL front office executive Phil Savage as General Manager.
The Arizona Hotshots team headquarters while in training camp in San Antonio will be the Holiday Inn Riverwalk in San Antonio with practices being conducted at Southwest High School.
YOU HEARD IT FROM THE HOTSHOTS:
Coach Neuheisel on first day in pads: "Organized chaos. It's kind of like going back to grade school when you get your pads, everybody's anxious to be the toughest guy on the block. But we have to be professional and make sure we're taking care of each other. I thought for the most part we did that. We had one little skirmish which can happen, you like the competitiveness but you've got to make sure that everybody's getting to the dance, so to speak. I'm not displeased. It's all good. I'm having a blast."
Coach Neuheisel on new faces in camp after a few cuts and additions: "The unpleasant portion of this business is that you have to make room for new faces, so we had to let a couple of guys go. If they don't get claimed they'll be available to bring back should injury occur. It's just the nature of the game."
DT Darius Latham on hitting in practice and not hurting one another: "We all really have the same goal, everybody trying to get back to the next level or get to the next level if they haven't reached it before. So we have to put our pride aside and work together."
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 9, 2019
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Memphis Express
- Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- San Antonio Commanders Training Camp Daily Update for Wednesday, January 9, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- Fleet Makes Roster Moves - San Diego Fleet
- Kevin Coyle Named Atlanta Legends Head Coach - Atlanta Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Arizona Hotshots Stories
- Big Plays Earn Three Standouts Week 6 AAF Player of the Week Honors
- Arizona Hotshots Host Public Safety Salute and #19 Retirement Ceremony Sunday, March 3
- Hotshots Revive Offense Late, Rally for 20-18 Victory at Memphis
- Wolford, Hotshots Put on a Show with 38-22 Win over Salt Lake
- Rick Neuheisel Joins Debut Episode of OurSports Central's AAF Podcast