Memphis Express Daily Update
- The Express took the field at 9:30 am CT on Wednesday at Cornerstone Christian School.
- Wednesday marked the first day of padded practice. The Express worked on individual drills, one-on-ones, 7-on-7s, two-minute offense.
- The fourth day of practice featured high winds and noticeably colder temperatures.
- During 7-on-7s, CB Channing Stribling (Michigan) hopped in front of an out on the left sideline for his first interception of camp.
- QB Troy Cook (UT-Martin) found WR Gerrard Sheppard (Towson) streaking up the right sideline on a fly route in 7-on-7s.
- LB DeMarquis Gates (Ole Miss) secured a fumble recovery on the first play of two-minute offense.
- RB Kenny Hilliard (LSU) ran for 15 yards on a draw out of shotgun in the early part of two-minute offense.
- QB Troy Cook (UT-Martin) hit WR Ryan Timmons (Kentucky) on a go route to the house in two-minute offense.
- RB Rajion Neal (Tennessee) ripped off a big gain on a stretch play to the right side in two-minute offense.
- QB Christian Hackenberg (Penn State) connected with WR Fabian Guerra (Fairmont State) deep down the right sideline on an out. Guerra corralled the catch with an outstanding toe-drag before falling out-of-bounds.
- DL Jamichael Winston, Sr. (Arkansas) broke up a screen pass in two-minute offense by utilizing a speed rush around the outside and tipping the pass.
- LB Dale Warren (Chattanooga) delivered a tackle-for-loss by blitzing a draw in two-minute offense.
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the intensity of practice: "Chances are, early on with pads, tempers will flare a little bit. Guys have to understand, they won't allow it in the games and we can't allow it out here, and we do have to come together as a family. If it does happen again we'll run more. Hopefully the message gets across. It's a good group of guys. We'll be okay."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on padded practice getting started: "It's good to hear the thud of the pads, but we have to make sure we know where to line up and put ourselves in positions to make plays, and keep working. If we're not lined up right, we can't play. We have to have the quarterback getting people lined up, ready to go. On the defensive side of the ball, it's on the mike linebacker. We're still trying to find that mike, but we'll get there."
- Head Coach Mike Singletary on the continued improvement he's seen through four days: "Once again, we had good energy, good hustle. We just have to continue making sure we're aligned right, making the right plays, having the right assignments. As we continue to go forward, it's going to be a good football team."
- LB Davis Tull (Chattanooga) on the physicality of padded practice: "We're going to come together. That's what training camp is for. Everyone's going to get closer and we'll have less fighting. There's going to be shoving, it's football, but we're going to come together and play as a team."
- LB Davis Tull (Chattanooga) on the talent level at Memphis Express practice: "There's a lot of good talent here. I was fortunate enough to get three seasons in the NFL. I've been around it, but we've got a lot of good talent here, and it's good to go against it."
- OL Dallas Thomas (Tennessee) on getting the pads on: "It feels great to get back out there, especially for me since it's been a full year. Feels good to get the kinks out. Putting those pads on makes you feel like it's football. Once you get out there hitting. I don't know how it feels to everybody else, but it feels good to me."
- OL Dallas Thomas (Tennessee) on the skirmishes breaking out around practice: "There's just a lot of testosterone out there, who's the biggest, who's the baddest. That's how it goes on the first day. Coach got it out of us, because we ran, so I don't think there will be any more of it."
Images from this story
DeMarquis Gates pracitces with the Memphis Express
Christian Morris of the Memphis Express
Davis Tull eyes a ballcarrier at Memphis Express practice
• Discuss this story on the Alliance of American Football message board...
Alliance of American Football Stories from January 9, 2019
- Memphis Express Daily Update - Memphis Express
- Orlando Apollos Daily Update - Orlando Apollos
- Arizona Hotshots Daily Update: Wednesday, January 9, 2019 - Arizona Hotshots
- San Antonio Commanders Training Camp Daily Update for Wednesday, January 9, 2019 - San Antonio Commanders
- Fleet Makes Roster Moves - San Diego Fleet
- Kevin Coyle Named Atlanta Legends Head Coach - Atlanta Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.