Anderson-Dolan and Smith Named Co-Captains for 2018-19 Season
October 23, 2018 - Western Hockey League (WHL) - Spokane Chiefs News Release
Spokane, Wash. - The Spokane Chiefs announced on Oct. 23 that forward Jaret Anderson-Dolan and defenseman Ty Smith will serve as co-captains for the 2018-19 season. They represent the 31st and 32nd captains in franchise history.
"We are in a very unique situation in that we have two young men who are beyond qualified to be captain," said head coach Dan Lambert. "We are fortunate to have an exceptional group of leaders in our dressing room. Both Jaret and Ty have absolutely earned the opportunity to wear the 'C'."
Anderson-Dolan was reassigned to Spokane by the Los Angeles Kings on Oct. 22 following a five-game stint with the NHL club during which he picked up his first career NHL assist. Entering his fourth full season with the club, he has 93 career goals and 193 career points. A 2017-18 Western Conference First Team All-Star, Anderson-Dolan became the 22nd individual player to score 40 goals for the Chiefs last season.
Smith, who was reassigned to Spokane by the New Jersey Devils on Sept. 28 and has since picked up 16 points (2G-14A) in 10 games played, including a nine-game point streak. Smith was also a Western Conference First Team All-Star last season after racking up 73 points (14G-59A), good for 2nd among all WHL defensemen. In 147 career games, he has 123 points including 102 assists.
Both Anderson-Dolan and Smith competed with Team Canada at the 2018 World Junior Summer Showcase, a precursor event for the 2019 IIHF World Junior Championship, and will represent the WHL in the upcoming CIBC Canada-Russia Series.
This is the first time in franchise history that the Chiefs have named co-captains. They replace two-year captain Tyson Helgesen, who aged out of the Western Hockey League and is now attending Mount Royal University in Calgary.
The Chiefs will return home to open a five-game homestand when they host Portland on Friday night for Avista "Way to Save" Night & Glow Bracelet Giveaway. The first 5,000 fans in attendance will receive a glow bracelet courtesy of Avista. They remain home Saturday vs. Tri-City for Leinenkugel's HOCKtoberfest & Leavenworth Trip Giveaway. Pre-game festivities on Saturday start inside at 4 p.m. Tickets are on sale now online, over the phone at 509-535-PUCK and in-person at the Chiefs' Ticket Office.
Ticket packages are also available! Save $$$ on tickets with great value options as low as $70! For more information or to purchase, visit the Chiefs' Ticket Office at Spokane Arena, call 509-535-PUCK.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from October 23, 2018
- Alexeyev Scores Twice as Red Deer downs Hitmen - Calgary Hitmen
- Pats to Host Breast Cancer Awareness Night Sunday - Regina Pats
- Anderson-Dolan and Smith Named Co-Captains for 2018-19 Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Eight T-Birds Games to be Broadcast on JOEtv this Season - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Calgary Hitmen Game Preview - Tuesday, October 23 at Red Deer - Calgary Hitmen
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Spokane Chiefs Stories
- Gudelj Named U.S. Division Scholastic Player of the Year, Finalist for WHL's Daryl K. (Doc) Seaman Memorial Trophy
- Paint the Ice at the Spokane Arena
- Chiefs to Select First Overall in 2023 WHL U.S. Priority Draft
- Bertholet Named to 2022-23 U.S. Division Second All-Star Team
- Chiefs Close Out Season at Home in Front of 10,541 Spokane Faithful