Ambassadors Buried Early by Berkshire
The Allentown Ambassadors fell behind 8-0 after four innings and lost the first of four games in Berkshire to the Black Bears 8-3 Thursday night in Pittsfield.
Mike Riley had a rough outing, never seeming comfortable on the mound. He gave up one run in the bottom of the first, then loaded the bases with one out in the second but managed to get out of it without allowing any runs. Riley walked five in the first two innings and had seven walks in his three and a third innings of work. He took his first loss of the year. In the bottoms of the third and fourth innings the Black Bear bats went to work. Three scored in the third and then four more in the fourth, including a two run home run by Brady Williams, his fourth of the season. Williams finished the night 2-3 with two RBI, two runs scored, two walks, a homer and a triple.
Meanwhile Berkshire starter Courtney Hall cruised through six innings, then gave up two runs in the seventh before giving way to the Black Bear bullpen. Hall finished the night with six and a third innings pitched, two runs, only one earned, on four hits with a walk and three strikeouts. He picked up his first win of the season.
The Ambassadors added another run in the eighth, but could not get a big inning going. Marlon Roche finished 3-4 with an RBI and the Ambassador bullpen continued to perform extremely well, pitching five and two thirds shutout baseball. John Boker pitched two innings in his Ambassador debut. Carlos Gomez followed with one and a third, and then Orlando Encarnacion pitched one inning, striking out the side.
The two teams go at it again tomorrow, with Chris Zallie scheduled to take the mound for the Ambassadors.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian American League message board...
Canadian American League Stories from June 5, 2003
- Patriots Gain Split with 3-2 Win over Bears in Nightcap - Newark Bears
- Ambassadors Buried Early by Berkshire - Allentown Ambassadors
- Diagnosis For A Rout: Score Eight Runs And Call The League Office With The Win - Berkshire Black Bears
- Long Ball Helps Lead Bears to Win in Opener over Somerset - Newark Bears
- SBLI USA and Bears Team Up to Help Needy Children - Newark Bears
- Surf Announce LPGA Promotion - Atlantic City Surf
- Brinkley Drives in Run in Debut - Bangor Lumberjacks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Allentown Ambassadors Stories
- No Longer Living Here in Allentown
- Ambassadors Reorganize Front Office, Hire New Team President
- Ambassadors Add Merchandise Section to Website
- Ambassadors Attend Tamaqua High School Career Day
- Ambassadors Trade Greg Schmidt to Rox for Mike Davis, Fontella Jones