Alexandru Mitrita Joins Al-Ahli on Loan Until 2022
New York, N.Y. - New York City FC today announced the Club has loaned forward Alexandru MitriÈÄ to Al-Ahli Saudi FC until January 31, 2022, pending the completion of a medical. The Saudi Arabian club has the option to purchase MitriÈÄ at the end of the loan.
MitriÈÄ traveled to Romania earlier this week where he joined the national team for international duty. He was allowed to travel due to unique personal circumstances. Once his obligations to his country are over, MitriÈÄ will immediately join Al-Ahli to conduct a medical.
The forward has played in 12 league games this season scoring four goals and adding two assists. Across his MLS career he's netted 16 times in 41 appearances and is one of four players in NYCFC history to record a hat-trick for the Club.
The COVID-19 pandemic has dramatically impacted travel to the US from abroad. These restrictions have disrupted visits to and from players' home countries, including Romania. Due to these restrictions, MitriÈÄ's wife, who is expecting their first child, returned to Romania earlier this year.
New York City FC Sporting Director, David Lee, said: "Due to Mitri's personal circumstances during this pandemic, we felt it was the best move for all parties at this time to loan him to Al-Ahli. He's certainly a player we believe in and has helped us win football matches in the past 18 months. We do not know how long these travel restrictions will last, so from a human perspective, we wanted to respect his wishes to be closer to his family.
"Due to New York State Guidelines and MLS protocol, Mitri would have been subject to mandatory quarantines following returns from the October FIFA window as well as a likely November FIFA window.
"Given the current fixture list, he would have missed the majority of NYCFC's remaining 2020 regular season matches as well as a number of potential playoff games. This loan allows MitriÈÄ to continue playing competitive football while also attending to family matters which we know are a priority for him.
"We are extremely confident in the roster of players we have and are on a fantastic run of form at the moment. Our aim as always will be to challenge for the MLS Cup and we certainly believe we have a group of players and a coaching staff that can do this.''
On the upcoming loan to Al-Ahli Saudi FC, MitriÈÄ said, "It has been a very challenging time for me and my family. My wife and I are expecting the birth of our first child in the coming weeks and she was not able to be with me in New York. I want to sincerely thank the Club for allowing me the opportunity to play football and be with my family. From day one the support from our fans has been excellent and I want to send love to all of the supporters. I wish the Club and my teammates all the best for the rest of the season."
The loan opens both a Designated Player (DP) and international spot on NYCFC's roster.
NYCFC would like to wish Alexandru and his family all the best for the next chapter in their lives in Saudi Arabia through 2021.
Transaction: NYCFC forward Alexandru MitriÈÄ joins Al-Ahli on loan until 2022.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 8, 2020
- D.C. United Announce the Departure of Head Coach Ben Olsen - D.C. United
- Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy: Keys to the Match: October 10, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Rapids vs LA Galaxy: MLS Preview: October 10, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- Portland Timbers Forward Jeremy Ebobisse Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Timbers Forward Jeremy Ebobisse Named MLS Player of the Week - Portland Timbers
- Inter Miami Shows Strength in Depth - Inter Miami CF
- Nashville SC Continues Playoff Push with Point against Minnesota United FC - Nashville SC
- Nashville Soccer Club's Schedule Updated - Nashville SC
- Revolution's Away Match at Nashville SC Rescheduled for October 23 - New England Revolution
- MLS Announces Match Date for FC Dallas and Nashville SC - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Wins Third in a Row, Beats RSL 2-1 - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Cincinnati Launch Farewell to Nippert Campaign to Commemorate Final Match at Nippert Stadium - FC Cincinnati
- Alexandru Mitrita Joins Al-Ahli on Loan Until 2022 - New York City FC
- Quakes earn third consecutive victory, surge to seventh place - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 3, Portland Timbers 6 - Wednesday, October 7, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Timbers Record 6-3 Road Win against LA Galaxy - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-1 at Seattle Sounders FC - Real Salt Lake
- Nine-men 'Caps fall to Quakes in San Jose - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Union net three goals, earn seventh clean sheet of the season - Philadelphia Union
- Chicago Fire FC Falls 1-0 to Sporting Kansas City - Chicago Fire
- Sporting Earns 1-0 Win over Chicago - Sporting Kansas City
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York City FC Stories
- Orlando City SC 1 Ã¢ÂÂ 1 New York City FC; Orlando City SC Advances 6-5 on Penalties
- New York City FC Signs Andres Jasson to Homegrown Contract
- New York City Football Club Continues COVID-19 Relief Efforts with NY Common Pantry During Thanksgiving Week
- New York City FC and Heineken Launch Multiyear Partnership Renewal to Kickoff 2020 MLS Playoff Campaign
- New York City FC and the YES Network to Debut "NYCFC - Home for the CityÃ¢ÂÂÃÂ Playoff Preview on Tuesday, November 17ÃÂ on YES