AirHogs Shutout Fargo, Earn First Win of 2018
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - The Texas AirHogs got their first win of the season Sunday vs. Fargo-Moorhead, winning a 1-0 thriller at AirHogs Stadium. Conor Costello picked up the win with 3.1 innings of scoreless relief, and Taylor Wright picked up the save with a scoreless ninth.
Tyler Matzek got the start for the AirHogs and went 4.2 innings. He escaped trouble after loading the bases in the second with a strikeout and a double play and then left two in scoring position in the third. He allowed just two hits while issuing seven walks and one hit-by-pitch. He had men on first and third in the top of the fifth when Costello entered to defuse the situation and preserve the shutout.
The AirHogs scored the game's only run in the bottom of the fifth when shortstop Casio Grider brought in catcher Ryan Wagner with a sacrifice fly. The sequence proved controversial when the throw from centerfield got by Fargo catcher Joe DeLuca. AirHogs third baseman Chen Chen, who had tagged from second to third, was initially awarded home after he got tangled up with Fargo third baseman Tommy Mendonca. After a conference, the umpires ruled that no extra base should be awarded. Chen Chen was sent back to third, and skipper John McLaren was ejected after protesting the ruling.
Costello did not surrender a hit or a run while carrying the AirHogs to the ninth. He struck out two and walked just one. Wright picked up the save with the help of Wagner, who caught Keury De La Cruz stealing at second for the second out before Wright punched out Charlie Valerio to end the game.
The AirHogs outhit the RedHawks 7-3. In his first start of the year, second baseman Luo Jinjun posted two hits. He was the only player with more than one for either team.
The AirHogs (1-2) will host the two-time defending champion Winnipeg Goldeyes (1-2) starting tomorrow at 7:05 p.m. RHP Gan Quan (0-0, 0.00 ERA) is expected to start for Texas, and LHP Shane Dawson (0-0, 0.00 ERA) is expected to get the ball for the Goldeyes.
The AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles, close the first six-game homestand of the year with a 7:05 p.m. start vs. Winnipeg Monday and 11:05 a.m. starts vs. the Goldeyes Tuesday and Wednesday. Individual tickets for the 2018 season are on sale now. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram @TXAirHogs. Media inquiries: [email protected]
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 20, 2018
- X's Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Shutout Fargo, Earn First Win of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- Goldeyes Win 4-3 over the Railroaders in Afternoon Matchup - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- A 'W' for KC on a Wet Day in Wichita - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Fall Short of Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats rally to force extras, fall to Saints, 4-3, in 11 innings - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- May 20 American Association Recaps - AA
- Yet Another Season Opening Series Win, Saints Take Down RailCats 4-3 in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Lose Starter Before First Pitch, Scramble to 4-2 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Tamburino's Gem Gives Saltdogs First Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sixth Inning Sinks AirHogs vs. Fargo - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.