Railroaders Fall Short of Sweep
CLEBURNE, Texas - Levi Scott clubbed his first home run of 2018, but the Railroaders combined for 15 strikeouts in a 4-3 loss with a chance to sweep the Winnipeg Goldeyes on Sunday afternoon.
Scott gave the Railroaders an early lead with his leadoff homer to left in the second inning - the first time in the series the Railroaders scored first.
But Will Mathis, making a spot start in the place of Josh Hodges, walked the first four Goldeyes in the third - and all four came into score. Reynaldo Rodriguez scored two runs with a single, and Josh Mazzola drove in another with a sacrifice fly.
Cleburne answered with two runs in the fourth after Reggie Abercrombie dropped a fly ball that allowed K.C. Huth to reach. After a Scott single, Patrick Palmeiro cut into the deficit with an RBI double to right-center before Cam Monger hit a sacrifice fly.
Goldeyes starter Edwin Carl struck out 11 batters, and six of the nine Railroaders starters finished with multiple strikeouts.
The Cleburne bullpen tossed seven scoreless innings, pushing its current streak to 12.1 scoreless frames.
Michael Gunn turned in four scoreless innings for his Railroaders debut, while Tyler Wilson struck out four in two perfect innings and Cortland Cox worked around a two-out single in a scoreless ninth.
With the first series win of 2018 in the rearview, the Railroaders now welcome the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks to The Depot for the only time this year. The three-game series begins Monday at 7:06 p.m., and RHP Dylan Mouzakes will make his season debut.
Tickets for all Railroaders home games can be purchased at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling the box office at (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 20, 2018
- X's Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Shutout Fargo, Earn First Win of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- Goldeyes Win 4-3 over the Railroaders in Afternoon Matchup - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- A 'W' for KC on a Wet Day in Wichita - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Fall Short of Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats rally to force extras, fall to Saints, 4-3, in 11 innings - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- May 20 American Association Recaps - AA
- Yet Another Season Opening Series Win, Saints Take Down RailCats 4-3 in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Lose Starter Before First Pitch, Scramble to 4-2 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Tamburino's Gem Gives Saltdogs First Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sixth Inning Sinks AirHogs vs. Fargo - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.