Missed Opportunities Haunt Wingnuts in Finale
WICHITA, Kans. - A two-out, two-run double from Angel Rosa in the top of the ninth inning helped the Kansas City T-Bones salvage the final game of the series with a 3-1 victory on Sunday afternoon at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
The T-Bones (1-2) rallied in the ninth against Wingnuts closer Daniel Tillman (0-1), putting runners at first and second with two outs before Rosa lined an 0-2 pitch just inside the third base line. The Wingnuts (2-1) then threatened in the ninth against Kansas City closer Cody Winiarski, but the righty slammed the door with back-to-back strikeouts to strand the bases loaded.
Wichita jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third, as Leo Vargas singled, stole second and came around to score on an RBI single from Logan Watkins. Kansas City responded with a run of their own in the top of the fifth, with Jordan Edgerton doubling home Cal Towey to tie the game at 1-1.
Wingnuts starter Jordan Cooper took a tough-luck no-decision after six strong innings, allowing just three hits and one run. Seth Harvey and Brady Bowen followed with scoreless frames, each recording a pair of strikeouts.
Francisco Gracesqui (1-0) picked up the victory for the T-Bones with a scoreless bottom of the eighth inning, while Winiarski notched his first save.
The Wingnuts will be off on Monday before taking to the road for the first time in 2018 on Tuesday. Austin Boyle (0-0, 0.00) gets the start in the first of a three-game series against the Lincoln Saltdogs. First pitch on Tuesday is scheduled for 6:45 and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 20, 2018
- X's Comeback Bid Falls Short in Loss to Saltdogs - Sioux City Explorers
- AirHogs Shutout Fargo, Earn First Win of 2018 - Texas AirHogs
- Goldeyes Win 4-3 over the Railroaders in Afternoon Matchup - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- A 'W' for KC on a Wet Day in Wichita - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Fall Short of Sweep - Cleburne Railroaders
- RailCats rally to force extras, fall to Saints, 4-3, in 11 innings - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- May 20 American Association Recaps - AA
- Yet Another Season Opening Series Win, Saints Take Down RailCats 4-3 in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Lose Starter Before First Pitch, Scramble to 4-2 Loss - Chicago Dogs
- Missed Opportunities Haunt Wingnuts in Finale - Wichita Wingnuts
- Tamburino's Gem Gives Saltdogs First Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sixth Inning Sinks AirHogs vs. Fargo - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.