AirHogs Even Series in Cleburne
CLEBURNE, Texas - The Texas AirHogs took a tight one in Cleburne vs. the RailRoaders on Tuesday, scoring three times in the seventh to steal a 5-4 win. The AirHogs and RailRoaders will decide the three-game series tomorrow at AirHogs Stadium in Grand Prairie.
The AirHogs got out to a 1-0 lead in the third after Cleburne starter Jesus Sanchez made an early exit. He left the contest after issuing his third and fourth walks of the game in the third, opening the door for an RBI base hit by Javion Randle to score Greg Golson and make it 1-0 Texas.
Cleburne evened the score in the third vs. AirHogs starter Miguel Rosario, tagging him for a run there and another three in the fifth to take a 4-2 advantage.
Texas rallied in the seventh though, using a squeeze bunt by Randle to draw within 4-3 and then a two-RBI single by Ni Ziyang to take the lead. Taylor Wright, who stranded two aboard in relief of Austin Orvis in the seventh, posted a scoreless eighth to keep Texas up 5-4. He handed the ball to Carlos Contreras in the ninth, and Contreras delivered his 12th save by stranding Levi Scott on first after a two-out base hit.
Liu Guoqing (1-0) earned the first American Association win of his career by firing a scoreless bottom of the sixth in relief of Rosario. Jeff Dally (0-1) suffered the loss after allowing all three runs in the seventh.
Golson finished with two hits, two walks and two runs scored. Randle and Correlle Prime each finished with three hits. Du Xiaoci picked up an RBI. The AirHogs outhit the RailRoaders 13-10. Texas left 16 aboard vs. nine for Cleburne.
The AirHogs (23-64) wrap the three-game split series vs. the RailRoaders (29-58) Wednesday at AirHogs Stadium. First pitch is slated for 7:05 p.m. RHP Zhang Tao (1-2, 4.96 ERA) is expected to start for Texas. The starter for Cleburne is TBA.
The AirHogs - powered by Beijing Shougang Eagles host Cleburne Wednesday and Wichita Thursday through Saturday. Visit AirHogsBaseball.com for more information on tickets for all AirHogs home games. For the latest news, follow the team on Twitter and Facebook @TXAirHogs.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 21, 2018
- Railroaders Falter Late in Loss to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Even Series in Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Honor 'Doc' Edwards Before Game with Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Lose to T-Bones Despite Bircher's Herculean Effort - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simpson's Walk-Off Blast Sends Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Know How to Spell R-E-L-I-E-F with 6-4 Victory over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Drop Both Legs of Twin Bill by Identical 5-1 Margins - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Rally Late, But Fall in Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cats sweep Tuesday doubleheader against Dogs with pair of 5-1 wins - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Lick the Saltdogs - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Sign OF Cortez to First American Association Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Second for RedHawks Leads to Win over X's - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Homers Sink Birds in Series Opener - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Five Run Third Leads Fargo to Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.