Simpson's Walk-Off Blast Sends Wingnuts to Win
WICHITA, Kan. - A walk-off solo home run from Chase Simpson leading off the bottom of the ninth gave the Wichita Wingnuts a 4-3 win over the Winnipeg Goldeyes on Tuesday night at Lawrence-Dumont Stadium.
Simpson's shot was his 12th long ball of the season, coming on a 2-2 pitch from Winnipeg reliever Edwin Carl (3-4). It cleared the wall in right for Wichita's second walk-off victory in 2018, and first walk-off home run since Martin Medina accomplished the feat on June 12, 2017 against the Kansas City T-Bones.
It was a back-and-forth affair all night. The Goldeyes (36-52) grabbed the lead first for a second straight night, as Josh Mazzola snuck a two-out single through the left side of the infield to score Reggie Abercrombie for a 1-0 lead.
Tony Thomas provided the answer in the bottom of the fourth, drilling an RBI double to right-center that tied the game at 1-1.
Thomas was in the middle of another scoring rally in the sixth, slicing a run-scoring triple down the right field line to give the Wingnuts (53-35) a 2-1 lead. A passed ball allowed Thomas to scamper to the plate for a 3-1 advantage.
Jordan Cooper was masterful again for the Wingnuts, tossing seven innings of one-run ball on seven hits. The right-hander struck out four and walked two, but was forced to settle for a no-decision. Winnipeg starter PJ Browne also pitched well in a no-decision, going five frames while allowing one run.
Felix Carvallo (2-1) picked up the win for Wichita with a 1-2-3 top of the ninth. After not recording a decision in any of his first 27 relief appearances, Carvallo has earned two wins and a loss in his last three outings.
The Wingnuts and Goldeyes conclude their series on Wednesday night. Charlie Gillies (6-5, 4.50) gets the start for Wichita, while Winnipeg will counter with lefty Brennan Bernardino (1-1, 1.92). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 PM, and will be broadcast on 1410 AM/93.9 FM KGSO, TuneIn and americanassociationbaseball.tv.
For information on season tickets, group outings, and party packages, call the Wingnuts main office at (316) 264-NUTS, or visit the Wingnuts official website at www.wichitawingnuts.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 21, 2018
- Railroaders Falter Late in Loss to Texas - Cleburne Railroaders
- AirHogs Even Series in Cleburne - Texas AirHogs
- Canaries Honor 'Doc' Edwards Before Game with Saints - Sioux Falls Canaries
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Saltdogs Lose to T-Bones Despite Bircher's Herculean Effort - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Simpson's Walk-Off Blast Sends Wingnuts to Win - Wichita Wingnuts
- Saints Know How to Spell R-E-L-I-E-F with 6-4 Victory over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Dogs Drop Both Legs of Twin Bill by Identical 5-1 Margins - Chicago Dogs
- Goldeyes Rally Late, But Fall in Ninth - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Cats sweep Tuesday doubleheader against Dogs with pair of 5-1 wins - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- T-Bones Lick the Saltdogs - Kansas City T-Bones
- RailCats Sign OF Cortez to First American Association Contract - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Second for RedHawks Leads to Win over X's - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Homers Sink Birds in Series Opener - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Five Run Third Leads Fargo to Win - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.