adidas MLS Player Combine Returns to Orlando
On Friday, January 11, MLS expansion-club FC Cincinnati will have the first overall selection in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft presented by adidas, set to take place in Chicago, Ill. at McCormick Place convention center. Standout selections from recent SuperDrafts have include Julian Gressel (selected eighth overall by Atlanta United in 2017), Tim Parker (selected by Vancouver Whitecaps FC in 2015 and traded to the New York Red Bulls in 2018), Crisitan Roldan (selected 16th overall by Seattle Sounders FC in 2015), as well as Andre Blake (selected first overall by Philadelphia Union in 2014). The SuperDraft will again serve as a highlight of the United Soccer Coaches Convention and further details, including a credential application, will be available in December.
Prior to the SuperDraft, coaches and technical directors from around the league will take the opportunity to prepare by attending the 2019 adidas MLS Player Combine in Orlando, Fla. The Combine will be held from January 3-9 at Orlando City Stadium, home of Orlando City SC and site of the 2019 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target, as a three-day showcase of the top young talent eligible for selection.
In addition to the showcase in Florida, MLS will also conduct the dual-location 2018 MLS Caribbean Combine in Kingston, Jamaica (Oct. 15-18) and Bridgetown, Barbados (Oct. 22-25)
The MLS Caribbean Combine is a result of the partnership between MLS and Concacaf that serves as a pathway for the best players, under the age of 24, in the Caribbean area to showcase their talent for MLS clubs. Through an expanded format, this scouting opportunity has grown from one event, featuring 22 players from 15 countries, to two events this year featuring 40 players from up to 30 countries, with 20 players taking part both in Kingston and Bridgetown.
The most highly touted prospects will be named MLS Caribbean Combine Most Valuable Players and will earn invitations to the adidas MLS Player Combine in Orlando.
MLS Caribbean Combine participants will be coached by Trinidad hero and one of the top goal scorers in MLS history, Stern John, as well as legendary Jamaican National Team and MLS stars Andy Williams, Wolde Harris, and Shavar Thomas. The Caribbean area has continually produced breakout MLS stars, including playoff-bound Jamaican-born New York Red Bulls defender Kemar Lawrence who participated in the inaugural Caribbean Combine.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 2, 2019
- LAFC Re-Signs Defender Jordan Harvey - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Name Guillermo Barros Schelotto Head Coach - LA Galaxy
- adidas MLS Player Combine Returns to Orlando - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Acquire Argentine Forward Cristian Espinoza on Loan - San Jose Earthquakes
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Lions Earn 1-0 Victory over Vancouver
- Storylines | City vs. Vancouver Whitecaps
- Orlando City Soccer Club and ParkWhiz Team up to Provide Fans a Better Game Day Experience
- Preview: Orlando City to Face Vancouver on Saturday
- Sebas Mendez Providing Crucial Ver Satility in City's Midfield