Aces take double dip
The Alexandria Aces swept a doubleheader from the Harlingen WhiteWings Thursday at Bringhurst Field. The Aces and WhiteWings had to finish the game that was suspended from Wednesday.
In the bottom of the 11th, Brian Sabatella scored when a grounder by Jose Umbria was bobbled by Candelario Perez and gave the Aces a 4-3 win.
The day started when Madison Edwards, with two out in the bottom of the ninth with a runner on second, grounded out to first to send the game into extra innings. Each team held the other scoreless for an inning until Umbria's grounder.
The second game was dominated by Alexandria winning 10-1. Starting pitcher Angel Guzman was nearly unhittable. Guzman (1-0) pitched a complete game working all seven innings of the second game of the doubleheader. He struck out nine "Wings and only walked one while giving up one run on six hits.
The Aces also put double digits on the board for the first time this season, scoring in all seven innings.
Second baseman Homy Ovalles broke an 0-11 slump to start the season by hitting a two-run homer to right in the first to take an early 2-0 lead.
In the third, Alexandria scored three more runs thanks to RBI singles by Eddie Fitzpatrick and Patrick O'Sullivan and a wild pitch that allowed Albert Gonzalez score.
Blake Butler led all hitters with three hits. Butler hit his third double of the season and added two RBIs.
Harlingen starter James Beever (0-1) was chased out of the game after 2.2 innings. He gave up seven runs, four earned on nine hits and a walk.
The Aces host the San Angelo Colts for a three-game series starting Friday. M&M Dodge will be giving away seat cushions and kids will be allowed to run the bases after the game. Game time is scheduled for 7:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from May 16, 2008
- Coyotes lose close game against Dillas - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Broncos Rally Falls Short against Harlingen - Laredo Broncos
- WhiteWings Hold On Against Broncos - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts fall just short in opener against Aces - San Angelo Colts
- Harlingen leads Laredo 8-7 in top of 9th - Laredo Broncos
- Aces take double dip - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th