Aces dropped by Coyotes
Edinburg, Texas - August 5, 2008 - A pitchers' duel looked to be in the works Tuesday until the Edinburg Coyotes scored eight runs in the fifth to break a scoreless tie. The Coyotes went on to win 8-2 against the Alexandria Aces at Edinburg Baseball Stadium. Aces starter Alejandro Martinez gave up just three hits before the fifth. Amado German led off the inning with a triple to center. After a walk to Brandon McConnell, Gary Roche singled home German to break the tie. Two straight singles by Angelo Fermin and Alex Entrekin brought home two more runs. Once a walk to Darryl Jones loaded the bases, Argelis Nunez singled one home. Two batters later, Mayobanex Santana hit a two-run single to knock Martinez out of the game. Ronald Ramirez relieved Martinez and gave up three more singles before retiring the last two hitters of the inning. Martinez gave up eight runs, seven earned, on nine hits. The Aces bats were quiet as Coyotes starter Eric Montoya kept getting himself out of jams. In the ninth, with the Aces still being shutout, Alexandria finally got on the board on a two-run single by Selwyn Langaigne. The Aces right fielder ended the night 4-4 with four singles. Rafael Ozuna brought home the last Aces run on a single to score Luis Guance. Aces manager Ricky VanAsselberg served the first game of a three-game suspension and Wayne Hedden and Larry Bethea each served their one-game suspensions for their involvement in altercations in their recent series against the Harlingen WhiteWings. The Aces and Coyotes will continue their three-game series Wednesday as Hedden returns to the starting rotation to face the Coyotes' James Mondesir. Game time is 7:05 PM.
Next home game: Friday August 8th vs. San Angelo. Smokey Bear Night with Team Sets/Kids Run the Bases.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 5, 2008
- Coyotes Bats Come Alive in Fifth - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Broncos Drop 4th Straight Game in Loss to Amarillo - Laredo Broncos
- Aces dropped by Coyotes - Alexandria Aces
- Williamson picks up 10th win, Colts 1-hit Wings - San Angelo Colts
- Gonzalez Breaks up Another No-No Bid in Wings Loss - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th