Aces beat White Wings
Alexandria, La. - June 8, 2008 - Alexandria Aces starter Chad Linder came into Sunday's game against the Harlingen WhiteWings having pitched at least six innings in each of his first four starts. Linder kept the streak alive by working seven innings and allowing only two runs while striking out five as the Aces won 10-8 at Bringhurst Field. The Aces seemed to put the game away in the third as they scored four runs in the inning. Madison Edwards, who led off the inning with a double off the wall in left-center scored on an error by Candelario Perez as Albert Gonzalez reached base safely. Jose Umbria then came around to score on a single by Selwyn Langaigne. A sacrifice fly by Patrick O'Sullivan and a throwing error catcher Kevin Griffin allowing Langaigne to score ended the third with the Aces leading 5-1. After adding another run in the fourth, the Aces led by five heading at the start of the seventh. The WhiteWings scored seven runs in the final three innings but it wasn't enough. In the seventh, Harlingen scored one on an RBI groundout by Perez. In the eighth, after the Aces answered with a run in the bottom of the seventh on a run-scoring double by Palmer Karr Jr., the Wings scored two runs on RBI singles by Argelis Nunez and Perez. The Aces scored, what proved to be, three very important runs in the bottom of the eighth. Blake Butler singled home Edwards. Albert Gonzalez, who had reached on an error, then came home on a single by O'Sullivan. Finally, a bases-loaded walk to Luis Guance forced home Butler giving the Aces a 10-4 lead going into the ninth. After Bub Bergstrom struck out to lead off the inning, a walks to David Fowler and Ryan Fox and Kevin Griffin getting hit by a pitch loaded the bases. Then, Brian Nichols hit a grounder to O'Sullivan, who was able to force out Fox at second, but a wild throw by Gonzalez kept the inning alive and allowed both Fowler and Griffin to score. Next, Nunez hit a two-run homer to left to bring the WhiteWings within two. Carl Johnson ended the game grounding out to Alejandro Martinez. The Aces and WhiteWings continue their three-game series on Monday with Ramon Portillo for the Aces going against Harlingen's Bobby Darling. Game time is scheduled for 5:05 PM.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from June 8, 2008
- Montoya Struck Out 14 In Loss To Dillas - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Eight-run Second Inning Leads Broncos Past Colts - San Angelo Colts
- Aces beat White Wings - Alexandria Aces
- WhiteWings Late Rally Falls Short - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Broncos Use The Long Ball to Defeat San Angelo - Laredo Broncos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th