Aces batter WhiteWings, 15-7
Harlingen, TX, Sunday August 12, 2007- The Alexandria Aces crushed the Rio grande Valley WhiteWings by the score of 15-7 to even up the series at two games a piece in front of 5,150 fans at Harlingen Field.
Walt Nolen worked 3.1 innings of scoreless one hit relief to pick up the victory. Nolen (4-1) struke out four and did not walk a batter in relief of Aces starter Danny Bonilla. Bonilla, making his first start against his former club, worked 3.2 innings, allowing seven runs on six hits, while walking two and striking out three. Bonilla cruised through the first three innings, then found trouble inthe fourth. That's when Walt Nolen came in to stop the bleeding, in a 8-7 game.
Juan Carlos Ovalles and Justin Dowdy worked a scoreless 2.0 innings in relief, with Dowdy once again striking out the side.
The Aces pounded out 20 hits against Rio pitching, with Eddie Fitzpatrick leading the way with a 4-for-5 affair. Tyrone Pendergrass, Selwyn Langaigne, Josh Tranum, Palmer Karr, Luis Guance all added multiple hit games, with Wilson Burwell, Brad Turney, Bryan Sabatella, and Evan Cherry each adding hits as well. The only to play that did not have a hit was Richard Paz, but Paz had two at bats, with a sacrifice bunt and a walk.
Angel Cordero (1-1) did not make it out of the third inning, allowing eight runs on eight hits, while walking one and striking one. Bobby Darling worked a 2.1 innings of relief, allowing three runs on six hits, while walking two and striking out one. Todd Lutz worked the final 4.0 innings, allowing four runs (none earned) on six hits, while walking one and striking out three.
With the win the Aces improve to 57-32 overall and 30-10 in the second half.
The loss drops the WhiteWings to 45-43 overall and 16-22 in the second half.
The Aces magic number sits at 2, with an Aces win and a Dillas loss the Aces can clinch tomorrow night against the San Angelo Colts. With San Angelo losing tonight, the Aces just need to win one game the rest of the season to eliminate the Colts.
Tomorrow's Probable Starters: ALX-- Josue matos SAN-- TBA
Next home game: Monday August 13, 2007. Margarita Monday presented by The Daiquiri Zone.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 12, 2007
- Aces batter WhiteWings, 15-7 - Alexandria Aces
- Aces out-slug WhiteWings - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Reynoso's grand slam highlights Dillas 18-13 win over Broncos - Amarillo Dillas
- Brownsville Police Win Charity Softball Game - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Aces swept by Wings - Alexandria Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Alexandria Aces Stories
- Aces Announce Kisatchie National Forest/Smokey the Bear Aces Team Photo Night
- Aces Announce City of Pineville's Free Admission "Pack the Park"
- Aces Game Tonight Canceled
- Aces Announce Louisiana Lottery Shirt-Off-Our-Back Night Tomorrow
- Free Aces General Admission Tickets Tuesday, July 24th