66ers Pitchers Masterful in Victory over San Jose
San Bernardino, CA - The Inland Empire 66ers of San Bernardino received dominant pitching and got a clutch-hitting late in a 3-2 win over the San Jose Giants (9-17) at San Manuel Stadium on Tuesday. The 66ers trip of Denny Brady, Austin Warren (W, 1-1) and Michael Santos (SV,1) combined toss eight perfect innings with just two baserunners in the fifth (a walk and a homer) while striking out 17 Giants.
Inland Empire took a 2-0 lead in the second on a RBI single from Keinner Piña and a RBI double from Kyle Survance Jr against Giants' starter DJ Myers. Sixers starter Denny Brady was perfect through four frames and surpassed his career high in strikeouts at that point by fanning eight of the first 12 batters he faced. In the fifth he walked John Riley to open the inning, then after another K, San Jose catcher Ronnie Freeman then belted a two-run homer to left center to tie the game. Those were the only two baserunners allowed by the 66ers the entire game. Brady went on to toss six frames in a no-decsion. Austin Warren tossed a clean seventh and eighth with three Ks. In the bottom of the eighth, Jordan Zimmerman tagged a one-out double to left and then scored the go-ahead run when Alvaro Rubalcaba launched an automatic double to right center off Trevor Horn (1-1) making it 3-2. The two-bagger was the Sixers' season-best fifth in a game. Santos then struck out the side in the ninth earning his first save of the year. Piña, Survance and Zimmerman all had two-hit nights for the 66ers. The one hit and one walk allowed both matched season-lows for the Inland Empire (13-13) while the 17 Ks was one off a season-high but that came in an extra-inning affair.
The series versus San Jose continues Wednesday a 7:05 pm. The contest can be seen and heard live at 66ers.com.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 1, 2019
- Visalia Rawhide & Minor League Baseball Nominated for National Sports Award - Visalia Rawhide
- 66ers Pitchers Masterful in Victory over San Jose - Inland Empire 66ers
- Nuts Fall in 13 Innings - Modesto Nuts
- Early Surge Helps Ports to Fifth Straight Win - Stockton Ports
- JetHawks Beat Nuts in Extras Again - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inland Empire 66ers Stories
- 66ers Outlast Nuts in 15 Innings Capping 26 Straight Days with Game
- Morgan's Ten Total Bases Powers Sixers against his Former Club
- Inland Empire Fall to Rawhide 4-3 in 11-Innings
- Rawhide Take Series Opener 5-1
- Visalia Overcomes Three-Run Deficit, Improves to 8-0 Versus Sixers